Ot 50 Cycle Rectifier

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 50 cycle 220 vac X 12 volt dc rectifier that I would like to use as a power supply for a model project. It came in a storage trailer I bought, it and a couple of other electrical devices were evidently left behind by someone that took residence out side the U, S. at least I don't think there is any 50 cycle power in the 4 corners area. My question is: will it destroy the rectifier if connected to 220 vac 60 cycle power? The intended use is to operate 12 volt dc motors removed from a wrecked automobile. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ray

A rectifier should not be bothered by a shift from 50 to 60 cycles (hertz). By rectifier, I assume that you mean step down transformer, rectifier bank, and possibly some filter capacitors. It may also have some more sophisticated voltage regulation circuitry. Depending upon the age, the rectifiers could be selenium; newer rectifiers would be silicon diode.

Brush type dc motors should run fine on unfiltered dc. You might get a little more out with some filtration. Depending upon the prior intended use, the open circuit voltage could be significantly more than 12 volts but it shouldn't be a problem for the motors.

Bob

Oh heck plug them in if the smoke comes out its no good , if they work alls well. Been there done that.

Thanks guys, wasnt aware of the over-voltage aspect Bob and hopefully no smoke or sparks will fly Silverbullet. FYI the model will be a walking dragline.
Have a good day
Ray

A rectifier rectifies Alternating Current to Direct Current and is unaffected by the frequency (within reason). If you were to use that rectifier/transformer at say 400 cycles, as used in aircraft, I have no idea what would happen, perhaps enough RFI to make your neighbors home electronics go buggy (-:

If you were to run a 60 cycle AC motor at 50 cycles is would simply rotate slower, this is what a VFD does, it rectifies AC into DC then uses very fast switches to turn it back into AC at the desired frequency. A DC motors speed can be controlled by changing the voltage, there are also other methods used, an AC motors speed can only be controlled by changing the frequency.

Last edited:
I have a 50 cycle 220 vac X 12 volt dc rectifier that I would like to use as a power supply for a model project. It came in a storage trailer I bought, it and a couple of other electrical devices were evidently left behind by someone that took residence out side the U, S. at least I don't think there is any 50 cycle power in the 4 corners area. My question is: will it destroy the rectifier if connected to 220 vac 60 cycle power? The intended use is to operate 12 volt dc motors removed from a wrecked automobile. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ray
It'll work just fine.

Back