OSB

A friend of mine used OSB on his shop walls. He caulked the seams and textured, then painted. You have to look real close to see that it's not drywall.

Bob

I used OSB to sheet my shop, walls and ceiling. Its a bear to paint with a roller, you need to put the paint on heavy to get into the little divots. I tried a Wagner airless sprayer with the proper nozzle for latex. Worked great and used half the paint. Did it in two coats, some of the chips bleed into the paint, guessing heart wood. The first coat helps seal them, the second coat shows less bleeding but still some. A few years latter I had a wall cleared off when I was installing a car hoist, thought I'd freshen up the wall. That wall rolled on effortlessly and no more bleed. The ceiling was getting yellow from dust and fumes. Rolled it as well, again effortless once you get it sealed.

Greg

Times (quality) have changed. The OSB that my son installed in my small shop and in my larger shop some 20 years ago was far easier to paint than the contemporary garbage.

Times (quality) have changed. The OSB that my son installed in my small shop and in my larger shop some 20 years ago was far easier to paint than the contemporary garbage.
But the stuff from 20-30 years ago rotted, and turned black from heat (hot sun). I know about that I had to repair some of it, I know that my entire sheathing is garbage. the new stuff doesn't rot like that. But it is less smooth. I'll take less smooth over rot.

edit. the old stuff was black and rotted away under my aluminum siding and tar paper. This on the sunny south east side. I found out there were many class actions already filed over the old crap. And of course bankruptcy and no liability once it was found they were responsible. So it was upto the home owner to suck it up.

But the stuff from 20-30 years ago rotted, and turned black from heat (hot sun). I know about that I had to repair some of it, I know that my entire sheathing is garbage. the new stuff doesn't rot like that. But it is less smooth. I'll take less smooth over rot.

Interesting, but my OSB hasn't shown any signs of that. Our climate varies & there has been exposure to moderate heat in Wisconsin as well as below freezing. Perhaps it hasn't seen as much heat that makes the difference.

First, let me say I am not a fan of OSB...But here are a few tricks I've learned over the years...Don't let it touch the concrete floor, hold 1/2" above... Always leave at least a 1/8" gap between sheets, all sides...Keep a rattle can of a good primer and seal any cuts you make...Be aware that when cut this product makes a very fine ball bearing like dust, Not fun if sheeting a roof...If you intend to put up shelves make sure you screw through the OSB and into the framing...Let it outgas for a few days before you paint it...Hope this helps...
**G**

I use drywall mud with a little yellow wood glue added to coat the OSB. With a wide blade almost no sanding. Paint and call it done. Cannot tell it is not drywall, especially with semi gloss paints!
Pierre

I used OSB in the RV bay of my shop/RV garage mainly due to cost. I had the shop side sheetrocked, taped, mudded and painted and just had the OSB in the RV bay painted semi-gloss white. I also like how easy it is to hang things on such as shelves or bracket for hanging items.

Mike

I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if this has been suggested already. I would use "Kilz Primer" which does a fantastic job at cover stains, smoke and fire damage as well as the smells associated and then paint with maybe a semi gloss so you can clean if needed or just leave it in primer.

Back