OSB

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am closing in my contiguos carport to double the area of my shop. I have used OSB for the interior walls. It is ugly and stinks. any suggestions pn how to finish it?

I'm gluing Frp on my sheet rock, it cleans well, is bright, it's a rubber/plastic material. Finish is not absolutely durable but it should provide some ability to not score up as long as it is not abused. It is 32.00 per sheet though.
Other options:
Sheet rock
Durorock,
Cement board
Paint
Tile
Carpet

I painted mine with white semi gloss paint, it reflects lots of light and cleans easily.

Remember those custom vans in the 70's and 80's lol, I had a flashback to them when writing that post.

There is a product similar to FRP but about half the price. Search for "white hardboard panel". My local big box home centers have it for $12 to $13 per sheet.

But, since you already have OSB on the walls, I would just go with a semi-gloss paint, any color of your choice. Light colors will be best to aid in lighting of your shop.

What's FRP?

If I use semi-gloss white (which seems to be the consensus) will it take a lot of coats to cover?

As an aside: contractors wanted about 30K to do the job, without electrical. I hired a local carpenter off CL and It looks like I'll bring it in for well under 10k without electrical. Twenty bucks an hour paid at the end of each day. Of course I did a lot of the work myself.

I used OSB to sheet my shop, walls and ceiling. Its a bear to paint with a roller, you need to put the paint on heavy to get into the little divots. I tried a Wagner airless sprayer with the proper nozzle for latex. Worked great and used half the paint. Did it in two coats, some of the chips bleed into the paint, guessing heart wood. The first coat helps seal them, the second coat shows less bleeding but still some. A few years latter I had a wall cleared off when I was installing a car hoist, thought I'd freshen up the wall. That wall rolled on effortlessly and no more bleed. The ceiling was getting yellow from dust and fumes. Rolled it as well, again effortless once you get it sealed.

Greg

Back