Original or Aftermarket 6 Position Stop

clm1899

Registered
Registered
This came with a Craftsman 12” lathe I aquired a couple years back. There are no markings or numbers except for the 1 thru 6 positions on the rotating disc. Curious if this was an aftermarket piece. The knurled rotating disc is 3” in diameter and overall it’s quite heavy. The hole in the side of body is for access to a set screw that locks the the main center bolt Fromm either loosening or tightening. It will clamp onto either 3/8” or 1/2” bed ways. Thanks for insight.

9DA624E9-583D-43A1-A966-D2F65EC004B4.jpeg

It's definitely made for flat ways, and that way clamp looks cast (mass-produced), so I'd check the Atlas catalog for a reference.

Multi-position carriage stops are an early form of automation, and can save a lot of time when making repeat parts.

I'm seeing a 6-position "multi stop" listed in this 1957 catalogue for 12" lathes. Haven't seen an illustration of it yet but there may be one either in this catalogue or another. I clipped this from the large Atlas section at VintageMachinery.

-frank

1681424030524.png

It was made to work with the 6-position Tailstock Turret or the 6-position Bed Turret. Your photo shows it inverted.

Would come in useful for making one or more small parts that had 2 to 6 different diameters at different lengths.

There is at least one MOLO in Downloads, too.

Also, I thought that I had one of the 6-Position Stops, too. 'but apparently not. All that I have is the single. If you decide to sell it, I will take it.

Maybe a marriage then? The brass slot heads don’t look like they’ve seen any stopping action on them compared to the clamp body dings, and I’m not used to seeing socket head cap screw (holding the parts in the middle) on typical Atlas offerings. Not many flat bed lathes out there though so maybe it’s just the clamp that belongs and the head is assembled from another machine?

Back