Options On Purchasing New Mill

Did you look at the grizzly g0801, g0822 mills , not sure of your budget but these are good smaller knee mills , with x y z plus spindle travel. I'd love to have the thirty inch table and vari speed of the top model in that class. I have an older enco mill like these but haven't been able to get them in my shop. To much pain and bad weather. I looked for two years to find the one I got used. One like it on eBay now but to pricy $2695.00

Thanks I will look but I am really looking for one I won't outgrow too fast and the Bridgeport's I have found either cost too much or were in bad condition

I know it has been said but I would look into the PM935 from Quality Machine Tools. This is a 3/4 size bridgeport machine that has an excellent reputation. I own one and it is a really good machine. I owned a smaller machine prior to buying this machine and the difference is huge. Quality of cut and accuracy; These machines are better build than many of the other imports and Matt at QMT is great to deal with.

I checked the price on the base machine and its the same as the larger machine your looking at. You can do without any of the extras like DRO other items. I think like me you will be happy you chose the best and largest machine you can get. Moving the machine is not has hard as you think. As someone mentioned the head is shipped rotated down so the overall height is low enough to get through your door. The machine can be moved on rollers as simple as lengths of tubing and a large pry bar. Low movers dollies also work depending on their height. The machine is shipped in a large crate (true no matter who's you buy). The sides and top get un screwed or cut off with a recip saw and your left with the machine bolted to a heavy pallet. It can be un bolted and lifted off with a chain hoist or large engine hoist and set down on the rollers. Check you tube for some videos of how others have done this.

Really I would strongly suggest getting not only the largest but also the best quality machine you can afford. I think others here will agree with this and suggest you consider this and putting off the extras. I have no power feed or power drawbar, I used a DRO Matt gave me a deal on in place of a phase converter. I am so glad to have discussed this with him and decided to go that way. A member here helped me figure out the wiring and Id be happy to do that for you if you went this way. I am now adding an RPM readout to the machine but you can live without it, I really just decided to do it because building the kit was something I could do while recovering from a back injury.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

That Griz 0796 looks like a nice machine . I have a PM935TV , it is a Taiwan made mill. I previously I had a chinese machine . Everything seems alot higher quality with the Taiwan made machine , and it's not a subtle difference . The PM935TS runs on single phase 220 and has a wheel that you can dial from 70-500 Rpm , flip a lever and 600-4200Rpm . It's a 2/3 size bridgeport and 1500 lbs . Good luck whatever you get !

Given those choices the Grizzly 0796 would be my pick, the increased capacity, rigidity and HP far outweigh the varispeed IMHO. As it goes, once you have it you'll wonder how you ever got along without it...

Also, While I agree with the above comments saying PM (Matt) are better machines, the reality of economy weighs heavily in these decisions. If you are coming from a 3 in one, the Grizzly 0796 is gonna be a huge step up, and you'll have some extra cash to spend on tooling .

Last edited:
I'm also trying to get a bigger mill. Found an old Bridgeport 9x42 1hp. Looks very clean and runs well (has vid of it running on ebay). Shipping is real high and not sure if I should just get one of the Precision Matthews PM-940M or 932M with the packages he offers and much better freight $.

Questions are should I go with proven old USA made iron (my preference) or try one of these sweet import models? Im sure there are + and - to each. Opinions?

I would not buy a used machine on eBay...

I understand and appreciate the eBay concerns. I have bought many things on ebay and they have pretty good protection for purchases and this co seems legit and has a good track record. BUt again I am still weary. Might feel out the PM guys as shipping is less.

When you are dealing with a large heavy machine, returning a machine can be a big deal and often the fine print might indicate that the buyer pays shipping if they do not like it. I usually find on machinery, that the sellers intentionally provide as little information as possible. They may have pictures, but often there might be details you miss, like the motor voltage. You can ask questions, but often these liquidation companies are just moving inventory.

Part of the decision on the size of the machine depends on what you plan to do. Although a bit more pricey, the PM935 offers the best of both machines and at a higher quality level.

I'd really be hesitant to buy any machine sight unseen. If you buy new, you've got a much better chance of having it work great right out of the box (or crate). I'm looking at upgrading mills this spring/summer (have a Jet JVM-830) to a used Bridgeport or a PM-949VS. I use the web site www.searchtempest.com for Craig's List shopping. You input your search text (i.e. milling machine), your price range, and how far from your zip you want to shop. The direct results search gives you hits from eBay and CL pages with the matches. In my case there's a 2 HP BP about 80 miles north of me that looks to be a good buy ($3800). I'll take a trip to see it before sending the seller any money. But I wouldn't hesitate to send Matt a check for a new PM-949VS sight unseen.

Bruce

Back