Opinions Wanted-headstock

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just bought a 618 headstock and I'm seeing quite a bit of taper/wear on the 1" x 10 spindle threads. Looks almost like it's been filed on or something. I'm measuring about 40 thou difference from the nose end diameter to the shoulder. Is this excessive? The thread depth at the nose looks to be less than 50%- not a lot of meat there.
The bearings on this unit seem to have issues too, I can feel some notchyness there, so it's going to need a bearing change at the very least. The gears all look good. Is there a tutorial for replacing Timkens?
I'll post a couple pix later
Mark S.

I have a couple videos on my youtube that shows spindle removal on a th54. I would think the 618 is similar.

Mark,

The Atlas Technical Bulletin on the 612/618 headstock is in DOWNLOADS. It details how to disassemble and reassemble the headstock. Read the DOWNLOADS use instructions in the Stickies before you look for it. This will probably save you a bunch of time.

The original threads on the spindle should be straight and may be a few thou smaller than the unthreaded part near the flange (the two together are called the Register and are what centers the chuck, not the threads). It does sound as though someone filed the threads down. However, all else being equal, the taper alone won't really hurt anything. The diameter of the register should be 1.0000/0.9995" if they didn't monkey with it, too.

Hi Robert- I just got a substantial discount from the seller so I'm not out too much money. But it will need another spindle I'm pretty sure. Here's a picture of the threads:
The bearings are a little tired but serviceable. A good cleaning should help. DSCN0229.JPG
Atlas parts seem to be more scarce than usual this year, particularly for the 6" lathes. I hope this is just temporary. There's just nuthin' out there, and prices keep climbing. MS

OK. That's what I thought you were describing. It looks almost like tapered pipe threads.

I also have noticed a significant decrease in the number of hits some of my long-running (because so far they've only gotten false hits) eBay searches are getting compared to even 6 months ago.

Hi Mark
If I may, I would like to ask where you got that headstock. I'm still considering making the conversion on my MK2.
Thanks and have a great weekend!

Randall

On Epay. I missed some (I think) better ones last year. This one was 100$ after the discount, but it is complete with tumblers. I'm planning on doing a MK2 conversion too. It may take a while, too many projects going on. LOL

I know what you mean about "other projects" taking time. That's most of why I haven't done mine yet! :D

I figured that was what you bought the headstock for, as I remember having a conversation with you about doing that a while ago.

Hey Randall-I think there's about 4 of us who wanted to do it, maybe I'll blaze the trail. Not that I dislike my Mk2 headstocks all that much, I'm really just curious if it can be done, and how many parts need to change. I also wanted to do an upgrade to one of my MK2 heads to improve the situation with the sliding coupler which is one of the real weak points of the design and could be improved. But yeah, too many projects. Plus I just bought an arc welder I need to run an outlet for. DSCN0231.JPG

Back