Opinions please....

Thunderdog - congrats!

Projectnut - I have never seen a drop deck trailer! That is so cool! Is it a commercial shop made trailer or a home brew?

It's a commercially built trailer especially for this type of work. Most are dual axle and have a capacity (depending on size) from 7,000 lbs. to 12,000 lbs. This one came from a local rental company (A to Z Rentals). They are available from Sunbelt Rentals, United Rentals, and other companies that specialize in construction equipment rentals. If you need one you'll probably have to reserve it in advance. I tried both Sunbelt and United first and they were reserved more than a month out. I just happened to get lucky wit A to Z. Someone returned it early and it wasn't scheduled out until the next week. Had I not called at the exact time I did it would have been a 2 week wait.

Here are a couple pictures of it in the travel position. It has a battery that powers an electric motor attached to a hydraulic pump. You can barely see the hydraulic ram on top of the trailer tongue that raises and lowers the bed.

DSC01029.JPG

DSC01030.JPG

Last edited:
It's a commercially built trailer especially for this type of work. Most are dual axle and have a capacity (depending on size) from 7,000 lbs. to 12,000 lbs. This one came from a local rental company (A to Z Rentals). They are available from Sunbelt Rentals, United Rentals, and other companies that specialize in construction equipment rentals. If you need one you'll probably have to reserve it in advance. I tried both Sunbelt and United first and they were reserved more than a month out. I just happened to get lucky wit A to Z. Someone returned it early and it wasn't scheduled out until the next week. Had I not called at the exact time I did it would have been a 2 week wait.

Here are a couple pictures of it in the travel position. It has a battery that powers an electric motor attached to a hydraulic pump. You can barely see the hydraulic ram on top of the trailer tongue that raises and lowers the bed.
A buddy of mine (too far away to borrow) has one that he uses for his motorcycles. They look super handy in a case like moving machinery.

I have a extra bed if yours has a lot of wear

larry4406, yup!!
We had family visiting yesterday and the moment they all left I slipped out to the garage and immediately tore down the tailstock and compound.

Quick survey question:
When you guys use Citrus Strip or aircraft paint remover products I'm just curious how many of you dunk the part or wash the part with water. I go back and forth on that idea because of flash rust and then a once over with 0000 steel wool. I guess there is no real way around it without picking a poison. Either use water for fast clean up/flashing or using a gazillion dry paper towels to thoroughly wipe the part. I guess I'm having my Atlas mill rebuild nightmares.:alien:

My experience with citrus strip is small items like a hand bench plane. I do not dunk, but often wash the parts after scraping with water. Some castings flash rust faster than others. My flash rust has been easy to remove with e.g., scotchbrite pad and WD-40.

I use scotchbrite not steel wool. Steel wool leaves little wires that may not be seen and may damage a bearing , a journal.
I scrape with a scraper and then scotchbrite.
I don't use water, I wear gloves and use paint thinner to cleanup. The paint thinner gets rid of stuff and cleans, and prevents the flash rust.
I also on one machine used a large cooker, mixed up TSP and boiled the parts in there. It was the easiest way to remove and clean parts. I had to spray with WD40 or dunk in Paint Thinner after to prevent the rust.
Tearing a machine down to me is the best way to get to know a machine. It also ensures you don't have a small problem that will turn into a big one.
Good luck.

Back