Opinions on the Grizzly 10x22 lathe?

Unloading and setting up! I have come to the conclusion that before I order the mill, I need to have a sit down with my wife in regards to "her" parking spot in the garage. If I no longer post here, please contact the authorities.

2018-07-13_18-33-38_169.jpg

Just for the record, my wife has never parked indoors in the 34 years we have been together. Priorities man. Priorities.

Just for the record, my wife has never parked indoors in the 34 years we have been together. Priorities man. Priorities.
Not all heros wear capes, but I'm not considering using the "but Terry get his whole garage" defense, but quietly, you are my hero.

Not all heros wear capes, but I'm not considering using the "but Terry get his whole garage" defense, but quietly, you are my hero.

You sir are apparently easily amused. :grin:

Congrats on the lathe BTW.

Yes, Mitch is correct... when you use the vfd to slow down the motor it will lose low end torque. So, if you were to slow it down quite q bit you should change the belt to a lower seed also if you need the low end torque. It is only needed if your doing something that will require alot of power when turning slowly, like knurling, etc. Normally you can just use the vfd especially if your not changing speeds from the high end to the low end. All depends on how much power your going to need when slowing down the motor.
Changing the belt on a G0602 or G0752 just requires opening the side cover, loosening the pressure roller and change the belt position... Not much really but when all you have to do is turn a knob for most things it is a difference. I use the vfd most of the time only, like I say unless I need the higher torque at a lower speed.
Of course if you want to change the tpi then you have to change a gear also... that takes a bit more time and learning which gear to change. But, how often will you make threads? I think just once in a while for most people. Probably realistically you will just use a made screw for most things unless a special part needs threads.

I plan on buying 3 phase motor and VFD for my G0602 in the near future. To mitigate the low speed loss of torque on my 2 x 72 belt grinder, I use a 1725 rpm motor at 120Hz. This gives 3450 rpm and around 4000 fpm on the belt. When I need a slower speed I still have the rated torque of the motor. I will use some variation of this concept for the lathe. But I will retain part of the belt/pulley system so the motor can run faster to compensate for the loss of torque issue. Often your VFD will have settings that help the low speed torque issue. Mine on the grinder does. It’s a LAPOND brand VFD and quite complicated. But I took the time to figure it all out and plan to buy the same one for the lathe.

Back