Only have 1/2 of wiring diagram, how to 220?

azscooby

Registered
Registered
I have a Bridgeport M head with a "Master" motor, 1140 RPM, 1/2HP, 110/220. I have it wired to run on 110 without any issues because I was able to read the 110V side of the wiring diagram, or what was left of it.

I'd like to wire this as 220V. Any idea how I'd do that? Again, the 110V diagram is good and I can run it on 110, but can't figure out the 220V. Once I know the wiring diagram I think I'll be able to then wire in the drum switch.

Here's what I have, and it works in this configuration (from photo.)
gSomoeYl.jpg

Last edited:
220 volt operation will be achieved by putting the windings in series rather than in parallel like 115v operation

It'll work fine, but at 1/2hp, is there a real need to convert it? It's only drawing ~4 amps at 115VAC, and half that at 230, so why bother. I'm guessing that all your outlets in that area are only 230V? What about everything else in the area of the shop that's 115V? I'm sure you have reasons, but I'm curious.

It'll work fine, but at 1/2hp, is there a real need to convert it? It's only drawing ~4 amps at 115VAC, and half that at 230, so why bother. I'm guessing that all your outlets in that area are only 230V? What about everything else in the area of the shop that's 115V? I'm sure you have reasons, but I'm curious.

KB58....you're probably right. I have both 110 and 220 but I figured 220 would help startup and strain on the capacitor. But it starts up just fine so I'm just going to keep it 110 and wire a drum switch to reverse it.

3/4 HP and up is where you can benefit from the higher voltage, less loss in the supply wiring, and the switches last longer at lower current-
at 1/2 HP it's not worth it
-Mark

Back