Online Hardware Store?

Toysinthehood

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have good sources they go to for hardware online. Like your local Ace but online?

I'm looking for plain or roller taper bearings, spindles, something to put them in, pulleys and possibly gears, threaded rod e.t.c.

Any trusted sources that aren't extremely expensive?

As far as expensive goes I make $22 an hour and have a family of four. (In case anyone asks. :) )

Thanks!

Zach

I order most of my hardware from McMaster Carr. I order on monday and have it by wednesday at the latest.

McMaster Carr has an excellent selection of products, good web site, and quick shipping, but are not the low price leaders, though there are some deals there. It often pays to shop around, the internet is not so much known for rewarding customer loyalty.

W.W. Grainger is also a good source, with a huge selection of products. If there is a store near you, you can get product shipped to the store for free local pickup. They are also not the low price leaders.

Fastenal is another option worth looking at, though it often seems that I have trouble finding exactly what I want there in the right quantity package. I think you can order from them for local pickup as well.

I have had very good luck recently with using Motion Industries for some items, again local pickup if there is a store nearby.

Fastenal has more stuff (not necessarily stocked locally but available with in a day or two) than most people realize.

I discovered a couple years ago that another fastener supplier, Air-O Fasteners, who supplied screws and nails for a couple places where I've worked, handles WAY more than I had expected. Their rep came by the shop one day and it turns out it's someone I grew up with. He asked if there was anything he can help with beyond the usual screws and nails so I mentioned half a dozen shop projects we were working on, including air and electrical retractable drop lines around the shop. He came back less than an hour later with everything we needed. He also took over as our source for paint and a number of other things. I have been nothing but impressed with them in the years I've done business with them. I'm on my phone so it's kind of awkward to check right now, but if I recall correctly their site is www.mysupplycart.com or something very close to that.

As stated, Grainger and McMaster are as good as you'll get for depth and breadth of inventory. But that comes at a cost (as it should).

If you're willing to take the time to research you can get better deals on anything from a niche website. But that is going to be a different site for each category.

Amazon....
I find most things in these categories very difficult to find on Amazon. Their search algorithm is designed to find you lots of things that are at least close to the term you searched for. As a result I get a ton of search results for items that are specifically not what I want. I buy from Amazon all the time, but I find even eBay to be much easier to navigate and locate what I want within categories like nuts, bolts, bearings, and other technically defined items.

Back