One shot lubricator PM1340GT quick change gears (photo heavy)

... if you can tolerate his pedantic and misogynistic nature.

Interesting - I watch his videos and I get a lot out of them (perhaps because I am a beginner), but I never saw this.

Not sure why one would want to spend so much time and money making a complicated manifold out of a solid block of aluminum with all that machining, drilling and tapping, I see no reason to waste so much time when all you need is something functional and inexpensive.

We each have our own orientation in pursuing a craft such as this. For me, this is a journey of continuous learning, problem-solving, and perfecting skills. Taking the KISS approach often does little to enhance those aspects.

I am often equally baffled why someone pursuing a hobby or craft would consistently take the cheap and expedient path. In so doing, they miss an opportunity to experiment, grow, learn, and be rewarded with the immense gratification of tackling and succeeding at something previously beyond their grasp. In my avocational pursuits, faced with something easy and something challenging, I will consistently pick the latter. To do otherwise is a shortcut with hollow reward and bypasses the chance to do something exceptional.

Perhaps, as the acronym KISS suggests, that renders me “stupid” in the minds of others. So be it. I do as much as I can to live up to my surname and rarely succeed. This path is not always easy or expedient, but despite the hardships, frustrations, and occasional disparaging remarks, I’m better for it. Paraphrasing one individual with greater determination than my own, “We do it not because it is easy, but because it is hard.” This, I believe, is the source of enhanced achievement.

As I said in an earlier post, to each their own.

We each have our own orientation in pursuing a craft such as this. For me, this is a journey of continuous learning, problem-solving, and perfecting skills. Taking the KISS approach often does little to enhance those aspects.

I am often equally baffled why someone pursuing a hobby or craft would consistently take the cheap and expedient path. In so doing, they miss an opportunity to experiment, grow, learn, and be rewarded with the immense gratification of tackling and succeeding at something previously beyond their grasp. In my avocational pursuits, faced with something easy and something challenging, I will consistently pick the latter. To do otherwise is a shortcut with hollow reward and bypasses the chance to do something exceptional.

Perhaps, as the acronym KISS suggests, that renders me “stupid” in the minds of others. So be it. I do as much as I can to live up to my surname and rarely succeed. This path is not always easy or expedient, but despite the hardships, frustrations, and occasional disparaging remarks, I’m better for it. Paraphrasing one individual with greater determination than my own, “We do it not because it is easy, but because it is hard.” This, I believe, is the source of enhanced achievement.

As I said in an earlier post, to each their own.

Very well said David. I salute your approach to the pursuit of skill-building and learning. I would even dare to say, it is one of the secrets to success in vocational/professional as well as "avocational" practices. This reminds me of this stanza by Robert Frost-

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Here's a link to the full poem- it is titled "The Road Less Taken". https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken.

Your motivation and reasons are admirable and noteworthy- I understand.

Salah

Which path? Depends, KISS to get to the pigs ear so I can admire more silk purses.
A jig for a one-off, KISS. A home made machine, likely aesthetics considered.
Work for a customer, better than what they expected.
Depends!

I feel a lot of us receive our new lathes/mills and are reading about every perceived weakness. So there is a project list before you really start using the lathe. So KISS can simply mean, what needs to be done to make it functional and extend the life of the machine. Users may or may not have a mill to do complicated modifications and a simpler method is usually chosen if offered and if it works, you may never change. Cleaning the gears, making sure the paths to the bushings are open is a good pre-startup exercise, then the luxury of complex/simpler oiling can be added later. It's great to see various options from those requiring a mill to those requiring a hand drill. It's all admired and appreciated.

I have completed my oil manifold setup- you can see a posting of it here:

Salah

As we used to say in the Navy "what ever floats your boat". For me it often boils down to time available, but I can also enjoy the deep dive when the spirit moves me, and the phase of the moon aligns with the astrological imperative, or something like that. Mike

Back