One day I had a plan

RHB

Registered
Registered
As I wrote in my introduction I am here on this forum to hopefully enhance my workshop skills
And I don’t know if this is the right place to open a thread with a lot of pictures and only a little workshop activity.
But it is about my effort to build a car model in the scale 1 to 5. I will give it a start and if there is interest I maybe can tell the whole story.

A number of years ago I bought myself a lathe followed by a small milling machine. I practiced a little and after a while I was looking for a kind of project in which I could use both machines.
I was already familiar with CAD software. But only 2D but then someone persuaded me that I better could change to 3D. So I plunged into the 3D world. And than I decided that the next project should be a model car.

First things first. I did a search on the web and in books to find reasonable technical drawings I could use as a starting point for a kind of reverse engineering.
From those data and a little common sense I probably create a 1 to 1 scale 3D drawing.
I found a target. A Porsche 917 racing car from the late sixties of the past century.
I split up the project in more or less three parts.
A) The outer hull ( glass reinforced polyester ).
B) The frame(tubing) with the wheels and so on.
C) The engine with the drive train.
So far the idea.

Rijk

917top_zps3d87d555.jpg

917sid_zpsb0647444.jpg

917def13_zps5b788139.jpg

917top_zps3d87d555.jpg

917sid_zpsb0647444.jpg

917def13_zps5b788139.jpg

At first there was the frame or chassis .

917frame01_zpsc25f3a65.jpg

917frame01_zpsc25f3a65.jpg

Then there was a preliminary body just to see if nothing of the frame sticks through.

917test01_zpsca754ef1.jpg

917test01_zpsca754ef1.jpg

On a scale of 5:1 how large will the overall dimensions be? I am assuming that you intend to motorize it also, so what size engine do you plan to use/ The 917 was a wicked fast car during it's heyday and gave all the other manufacturers a real run for their money. There are still some retro races that you could probably compete in if you had a full scale car too. I am very interested to see this project come to completion, It is looking way good already with excelent workmanship and high quality assembly. Keep us all posted on your cool project..
Bob

I use a program called bendtech for calculating all of my tube bends and cope at all of the joints. No reason it will not work in a small scale set up. It works absolutely flawlessly in full scale builds that I have done. It will give you a cut list and a bend sheet on every tube you wish to install. Worth a look if your going for perfection, and The builder of the program still answers his own phone and you can call Chris anytime if you have an issue. Best 200 bucks I ever spent for fab tools and equipment.
Bob

Next came the steering and front wheel assembly and the suspension.

pic14b_zpsf066e5f8.jpg

pic14b_zpsf066e5f8.jpg

The next step was to fill up the front. The rims, dashboard, seats, a set of pedals and the front oilcooler.

pic16b_zps72d5db04.jpg

pic16b_zps72d5db04.jpg

Okay let's switch to the rear end. Again suspension and wheel assembly and rims . And already a part of the drivetrain.

917def17b_zps9dc386be.jpg

917def17b_zps9dc386be.jpg

Now over to the engine. First some information about this beast. It’s a 12 cylinder boxer engine with an angle of 180 degrees.
So two opposite pistons will use the same bigend. The layout of the engine looks if two 6 cylinder engines are coupled by mirroring round the center.
From this center the power will be distributed to the transmission and a scavenger oil pump.
Also from here the both ignition distributors as well as the big cooling fan are driven .
And from here two cassettes with gears to drive the camshafts for intake and exhaust on both sides of the engine.

Let’s start with the cranckshaft.

cranck01_zpse115a380.jpg

cranck01_zpse115a380.jpg

Back