OldCarGuy's Toy Shops

The shop's amazing, the cars are fabulous, but the one thing that would have me drop everything to look at is your K&T No. 2 Mod. D. It's great to know that a few are still out there and running.
There are more of these great machines still running today than you may guess. Indeed they're a great machine. Mine is from 1951 and cost over $25,000.00 at that time. While a Bridgeport was around $700.00. Not many places had them back then. This one came out of an automotive shop that closed 30 years ago. I haven't figured out to post videos.. Showing this machine running is sweet. And the other one shows the view of the drive belts machanism from above..

kt2d-1.jpg
kt2d-2.jpg

I think its more a desire to be that organized than it is about “hoopla”.

Most home machinists are limited on space (and money) and as such, things are crowded and hard to keep neatly organized. Its the old “10 pounds of stuff in a 5lb bag”….

My shop is a mess right now, but its not “dirty”.

You just can’t cram 3 cars, a tractor, a lathe, a bench mill and assorted other mechanic and woodworking tools into a 2 car garage and be “organized”.

Truely, I need another out building (maybe two!), but I don’t have the 30-60 grand to drop on one…

Last edited:
No matter how much shop space you have. No doubt You will quickly fill it up. One shop I saw was less than a two car garage. And it was filled to the gills with machines. Leaving a small working area in the center. It was like musical chairs, everything was on wheels. The machine the owner needed was rolled into the center. After he was finished with it , it was returned.. Totally amazing to watch..

Hopefully you can find a way to build another shop.. In my case all I need to put out is the building materials. I figure my labor is free. So my shops cost a fraction to build.

Some more shop equipment found in my main workshop

IMG_8869.JPG

restore22.jpg

restore25.jpg

Here is my work station. Two solid maple work benches with workspace between them. My computer is on one bench with a stack of Gerstner tool box, bottom one on rollers. Whilethe other bench has a riser with three Gerstner tool boxes on top.Originals lost to the fire. There's a small granite layout plate with a 12” height gauge.

Roll_Cab.jpg

A 55” RollCabs roller tool box contains accessories for CNC Machining Center. AM Scope Stereo Microscope with 12”viewing monitor.

Cabinets.jpg

Two Durham cabinets, originally gray, painted them blue to match my garage color sceme. My gauge blocks, sine plates, micrometers, drills bits, end mills, taps, etc stored inside.

Inspection_table.jpg

A 24” by 36” Black Granite Inspection plate with home made stand.

US-lathe.jpg

Lathe_chucks.jpg

US Industrial 16” by 40” Lathe with 3” Dia spindle hole, 12” four-jaw chuck, 10” three-jaw chuck, Bisen 5C front key, and Gator 10” six jaw chuck.

tig.jpg

mig-stick.jpg

Welding table with Lincoln 225 Precision water cooled torch TIG welder, and Weld Tec torch watercooler. Lincoln Power MIG 215 welder, and older Airco 180 AMP stickwelder sit on wheels, And can be rolled around the shop or other garages. ..

us-12x24.jpg

US Industrial 12” by 24” Three-Axis power surface grinder 12” Dia wheel and power over-wheel diamond dresser.

us-6x18.jpg

US Industries 6” by 18” power Two-Axis suface grinder 7” Dia wheel also over-wheel diamond dresser. Although it has flood coolant. Most likely I will never use it.

monaset.jpg

Monaset Cutter and Tool Grinder. This is a high quality Taiwanese copy of the original designed Cincinnati Monoset (spelled with an “O” rather than an “A”) Cutter Grinder. And where manufactured in the 1940's through the 1980's. Have two sets of spring collets, a six jaw precision chuck, and 4” Dia Magnetic Chuck. Fantastic machine for all kinds of cutter sharpening. It incorporates the ability for sharpening the helical cutters using internal cams. Without the use of a finger guide. I made hardened valve guides using this machine along with facing off valve seats..

deckle.jpg

Deckle SO Single Lip Cutter grinder. May be small but a very versatile machine to expediently sharpen cutting tools, mainly single lip. Deckle stopped making them several years ago,, word has it they are once again producing them.. There are a number of cheap Chinese knock offs,, not good quality today.. And not worth owning..

dake.jpg

Dake Manual 50 Ton Hydraulic press...I've always wanted one of these in my home work shop.. Either side has a sonic parts washer,, small and a larger model. Great way to clean smaller parts. There an array of C-Clamps up to 12" mounted behind the press. Along with nylon straps and eye-bolts to 1 1/4" thread dia

72_RollCabs.jpg

72” RollCabs Combination Roller Cabinet.. I own several Snap-On roller cabinets and these are the same quality.. Actually these are re-badge Extreme tool boxes..

Cresent.jpg

This drawers have some of my adjustable Cresent Wrenches from 4" to 24"

milwaukee.jpg

milwaukee.jpg

safe-2.jpg

safe-1.jpg

I have 39 Milwaukee Power Tools from hand drills to Chain Saws. When not in use I store the lithium batteries in this Mesa Safe with a fire rating of 1,700 degrees F for two hours.. There's a six station charger for M12 and M18 batteries. With a timer mounted outside the Safe.. I have two auto rewind air hose reels plus four hoses located around the shop

mitutoyo.jpg

Mitutoyo 14" optical comparator

badboy.jpg

BadBoy sandblast cabinet Both suctions and pressure feed. Along with dust collector
E49B2777-C2E9-49D6-B881-C1DEE6FB855C.jpeg

Graymills Parts Washer.. In Blue, painted by the OldCarGuy...

Last edited:
No matter how much shop space you have. No doubt You will quickly fill it up. One shop I saw was less than a two car garage. And it was filled to the gills with machines. Leaving a small working area in the center. It was like musical chairs, everything was on wheels. The machine the owner needed was rolled into the center. After he was finished with it , it was returned.. Totally amazing to watch..

Hopefully you can find a way to build another shop.. In my case all I need to put out is the building materials. I figure my labor is free. So my shops cost a fraction to build.
Agree.

build a 2 car and you’ll need a three. Build a 3 car, need a four. Build a 4 car…..

You have that right! I have 8,000 square feet of shop space at my home and another 2,500 several miles away, and I'm still looking to expand. A 30' by 50' shop would be nice. But I figure it would take me at least six months to complete by myself. And with all that I have on my plate, make that a year. Keeping my age in mind, That thinking may not be the smartest thought after all.

Back