Old Monarch Mystery

jbrowne

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

A few years ago I bought an old Monarch lathe at a Ham radio festival but have had no luck identifying it or figuring out how to setup the belt drive. From what I can tell it is a cone-drive lathe, possibly pre-WWI.

I did find an pdf of an old Monarch information book that contained similar machines, but mine is not covered. I have found old Monarchs online, but most of them have a multi-step selector on the feed gearbox. You can see in the picture that mine only has a 3 position A-B-C selector. Does anyone have any info on which model this is or what year it was built?

I also have a picture of the separate motor assembly and have been confused about how it interfaces with the lathe. It looks like it was supposed to hang off the back of the lathe on that arm with the motor weight maintaining belt tension? Most old Monarch setups I've found seem to have a countershaft above the lathe, not behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! It seems to be in decent shape and is cleaning up well with WD40 and steel wool. Any other suggestions for cleaning off nearly 100 years of grime?

Thanks,

2012-10-02 11.10.09.jpg 2012-10-02 11.07.31.jpg 2012-10-02 11.08.55.jpg 2012-10-02 11.09.24.jpg 2012-10-02 11.09.55.jpg

Hi
Nice looking Lathe someone made the motor setup, But it should work fine! Did you find away to mout it?

Paul

Whilst I am not directly helping you to identify the lathe have you tried Tony (at) lathes (dot) co (dot) uk.

Cheers Phil

Can you take a picture of the back of the lathe. It looks like it was adapted to a channel iron the motor and double belt cone is mounted on. I would guess they may mounted it on the machine in back or on the wall behind the machine instead of the original line shaft. Could be made from the factory that way too for small users who did not have a line shaft.

Back