Old mantle clock.

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
4 or 5 years ago i started talking to a clock guy named Nelson online. The clock hasn't worked for at least 6 or 7 years and i wanted to ship it someplace to get fixed but its real old and fragile. Today we are all sitting around and the clock starts striking the gong. Amazing after all these years of just sitting there it starts striking 11. So i guess that was the greatest Christmas present of the day...Bob

Amazing how well I work, isn't it? ;D

That happens all the time when something in the house shifts and the mechanism is rattled into working again. It will probably stop just as abruptly as it started.

BuzzJohn is a clock guy also, so maybe it now knows it is outnumbered and might as well work!

Best,

Nelson

Well last night i felt bad because it was till running and i know it hasn't been oiled for a long as i have had it maybe 15 years. So i removed the back removed the weight and layed it on its face. Then i got some of my Royal Purple oil i use in my SBL spindle and a long piece of spaghetti for a needle oiler. I dripped oil everywhere i thought it should be. I don't have a clue on how to oil the front side parts behind the clockface so if anyone can chime in i may try it sometime. Now to find my wind up key too...Bob

It was clean inside all the brass was nice and yellow and no pet hair which is amazing because i have 7 dogs and 4 cats...Bob

Bob,

Sounds like you did good. Don't overoil- you will attract dirt and grime and gum up the works. In my experience with the German clocks I work on, many times the clock is either dirty or what we call "out of beat". Both of these are easy fixes. One requires dissembly and cleaning and the other simply bending the suspension rod until the beat is even.

Sometimes, they have broken the suspension spring- another easy fix by replacing it.

Nelson

The way to reach the front plate to oil the front pivots is to take the works out of the case. To do that you first have to take the hands off. Usually there is a nut that unscrews and the minute hand will come right off. The hour hand is a slight press fit and will pull off easily. There are usually 4 wood screws that hold the works in the case. Carefully take the bob off the pendulum rod before you move the clock very much. Otherwise you might damage the suspension spring.
If you want to have an interesting experience, take the works apart and clean out the bushings. If the clock is spring driven be sure to captivate the springs first or you will have parts and pieces all over the place. They make special rings to do that, but you can wrap a couple turns of good wire around them and that will work if you are careful about it.
Have fun with it, John

4 or 5 years ago i started talking to a clock guy named Nelson online. The clock hasn't worked for at least 6 or 7 years and i wanted to ship it someplace to get fixed but its real old and fragile. Today we are all sitting around and the clock starts striking the gong. Amazing after all these years of just sitting there it starts striking 11. So i guess that was the greatest Christmas present of the day...bob

@luap, is there esomething you are trying to say when restoring these long dormant threads? Just asking...

Back