[Newbie] Old Bridgeport Ways Worn Out

JerryHu44

Registered
Registered
I am restoring a Bridgeport that I purchased a while back. I probably shouldn't have bought it because the ways need to be reworked and the table needs some repair but the price seemed good. I would like some advice. I live near San Antonio. I found a place in Houston called Taylor Precision Services, Inc. their web page says they do that kind of work. Does anyone know anything about them? Or, can you recommend anyone? Any help would be really appreciated.
Jerry

I have heard of them. In fact, I used to know the owner Willie Taylor from many years ago. As far as I know, they are good at what they do. At least, Willie was excellent at what he did for us back then. I'm sure their work is expensive, but you will be happy with their service. Give them a try!

Thank you sd624 that was very informative. I saw your video a while back and purchased the manual you are using. Looks like the machine builder you choose did you a good job. Probably well worth what you paid. You were fortunate that you had some machine builders to choose from close by. Pretty scarce around here.

Jerry,

I have a local machine shop down here in Victoria, I use from time to time, that can handle some of the parts, re-machining like the knee, saddle, and maybe the table, depending on the length of the table. I usually "hold their hand" when they do things for me, to make s sure it gets done correctly.
I like to ask, how bad are the ways worn? Are any of the ways chrome plated? Can you post some pictures?

I did check the ways with a straight edge and to my surprise found them to be pretty flat. I'm going to finish painting it and put it back together. Maybe I can live with it. The table is 42" and I will probably have it resurfaced, it's beat up pretty badly. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

As for resurfacing the table top, I don't know of anyone in the S.A. or Austin area with a surface grinder that can handle it. I had mine re-surfaced at Don's grinding service in Houston several years ago. They did a decent job on mine. I would suggest Commercial Grinding in Dallas, might be a little more convenient to you than going to Houston. Might do some shopping around, you never know what will come up in your area. Your choice.

I have a good friend of mine near Austin I could ask if they know of someone if you like for me to ask.

Back