Old Bicycle Parts

70mm shells were quite common on Raleighs and other brands owned by Raleigh. 70mm shells were usually 26tpi instead of the usual 24tpi. What bike and crank do you have? I'm into vintage steel bikes, and my entire business is based on cranks. Yet I'd never heard of a 3º taper. But checking my 1980 edition of Sutherlands, I see that some Asian spindles were made for 70mm shells and with 3º tapers. I scanned the appropriate page.

Hi Mark, this is a Sekine. 1974 SHS, made and assembled in Canada using Japanese parts. The crank is a SR, an early alloy with two rings.

How original do you want to keep this bike? I have a lot of used cranks and I'm just across the river from you.

I'd like to build this up almost both ways. What does it feel like with the original components, and what does it feel like with a new BB, crank. That said, since the original pieces are hard to find I'm not adverse to trying a 68mm English threaded sealed cartridge. One can always keep an eye out for another frame. I'm glad to see you make the cotter presses, I think I will buy one of yours. While machining is an interest as an add on to working on the older bikes right now time is a factor with the kids not that old. Kind of the same with ancient coins, die cutting and metalurgy are interesting but...

Back