Okay Who's Bench Grinder Has A 1.25 Inch Diameter Arbor Dang??

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I ordered a diamond coated 6 inch grinding wheel from McMasters and it has a whopping 1.25 inch arbor hole. I knew this when I ordered it, was hoping I'd get some spacers with it but no. Its not an issue I can turn something on the lathe but I'm just curious what monster bench grinder actually has a 1.25 inch diameter arbor for crying out loud?

Those are for a Baldor style tool grinder. Or depending on style, maybe a surface or T&C grinder. 1 1/4 is a standard size for those.

110-500.eps.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that seems way overkill for a grinder arbor but good to know thanks Jim. This diamond wheel will be dedicated to grinding TIG tungsten so I think I'll just adapt it to my cheap $60 Asian grinder.

I ordered a diamond coated 6 inch grinding wheel from McMasters and it has a whopping 1.25 inch arbor hole. I knew this when I ordered it, was hoping I'd get some spacers with it but no. Its not an issue I can turn something on the lathe but I'm just curious what monster bench grinder actually has a 1.25 inch diameter arbor for crying out loud?
My Boyar - Schultz Six Twelve suface grinder
has a 1.25 hole in them .

Why a diamond wheel to sharpen TIG tungsten when a ordinary abrasive grinding wheel does the job with no trouble and more cheaply?

A 1-1/4" hole size is very common on T&C grinders. The arrangement on my Cinci #2 is that there is an arbor adapter that stays with the wheel and one can fairly quickly swap wheels. A grind shop may have quite a number of wheels mounted and shaped for various jobs. The way the adapters mount on the spindle - perhaps the wheels does not even need to be dressed each time it is put on?

I also have an old pedestal style tool grinder, designed for 10" wheels - again 1-1/4" hole in the wheels. There is sort of a drive flange / adapter (it appears to be original) designed to center in a 1-1/4" hole.

I don't think it is about how big the grinder is. I think that is just the way it was designed?

Back