Oiling the ways of a Unimat - what to use ?

STEMtheMachining

Registered
Registered
I recently got a Unimat SL, and I was wondering what you guys use for lubricating the ways.

Do you guys use way oil, instrument oil, or something else ?

And how often do you lube the ways?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well, hello fellow Tar Heel. Congrats on the Unimat, I'm sure you'll have fun. I use Mobil Vactra No. 2 Way Oil iso 68. Just don't let the ways get dry and you should be fine. It's a little expensive but one gallon will last you a long time.

Well, hello fellow Tar Heel. Congrats on the Unimat, I'm sure you'll have fun. I use Mobil Vactra No. 2 Way Oil iso 68. Just don't let the ways get dry and you should be fine. It's a little expensive but one gallon will last you a long time.
Sounds good, thanks.

I'll order some as soon as I can.

And thanks for the warm welcome on this not so warm morning!

I wrap strips of bacon on mine- ... just kidding
Mine is so worn I hardly use anything nowdays- when it squeaks I put some 3-in-one on it

I use way oil on my Sherline since I have it, but Sherline says 3 in 1 oil is fine on their machines. Taig recommends ATF or #2 way oil for their machines. Non detergent 20w or 30w oil was the factory recommendation for a lot of small vintage lathes.

I wrap strips of bacon on mine- ... just kidding
Mine is so worn I hardly use anything nowdays- when it squeaks I put some 3-in-one on it
"...strips of bacon"

That explains the teeth marks in the cross slide.

I have some 3 in 1, but I was thinking it's a little viscous for proper way oil.

"...strips of bacon"

That explains the teeth marks in the cross slide.

I have some 3 in 1, but I was thinking it's a little viscous for proper way oil.

3 in 1 oil is roughly 20w, Vactra #2 is ISO 68 which is also roughly 20w. Way oil has additives to make it "sticky" to help it cling to the ways better. I have a book on Unimat lathes (The book of the Unimat), I checked and there is no specific oil or grease listed in it to use with the lathe or milling head.

Any of the oils I mentioned above should be perfectly fine to use until you decide on one to stick with.

Back