Oiler Sight Glass

pmat

Registered
Registered
I picked up a nice lonergan oiler on eBay. I was cleaning the sight glass and dropped it, darn!

I've looked on eBay and McMaster Carr and can buy lengths of sight glass, but was wondering if anyone had tips on cutting it to length. It's 5/8 inches in outside diameter.

Thanks,
Paul

We still use a file to score glass tubing.
We also have a tubing cutter with a carbide saw tooth for more accurate cuts.
Like this below with a piece of a skil saw blade.
Tube cutter.jpg
If the glass from MMC is pyrex, it can be fire polished to smooth out the cut.
lk

We still use a file to score glass tubing.
We also have a tubing cutter with a carbide saw tooth for more accurate cuts.
Like this below with a piece of a skil saw blade.
View attachment 143209
If the glass from MMC is pyrex, it can be fire polished to smooth out the cut.
lk
You don’t use that to cut the glass tubing, do you? Like come down on the glass tubing and try and cut it like rubber tubing? Or do you just use it like a guide to squarely hold the blade and tubing while you score it?...Dave.

You don’t use that to cut the glass tubing, do you? Like come down on the glass tubing and try and cut it like rubber tubing? Or do you just use it like a guide to squarely hold the blade and tubing while you score it?...Dave.
HI Dave: Yes, just score the glass using the carbide saw tooth then firmly grip the tube with your gloves on and (carefully) snap at the score.
If the cut is a little rough, slowly, carefully apply heat from your cutting torch to polish. {Pyrex or Symex borosilicate only).
Full disclosure: It is my better half that does the glass working.

Paul look on the internet on "how to cut a glass bottle" there are some techniques using string and lighter fluid that might apply
Mark S.

I saw a nifty you tube video where they chuck it in a lathe ( gently I imagine) use a pointed carbide tool to score the glass tube then use a micro torch on the score and it makes a perfect cut.... I'm going to try this when the tube comes in. I'll post the results... thanks, paul

My 1 foot section of glass arrived from patriot-supply on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121723569886?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I tried what I thought was a nifty technique that I saw on a you tube video, chuck it in my lathe, then score it with carbide and apply heat to the score with a micro torch. Did not work for me, perhaps because my microtorch is a little burnsomatic butane torch which doesn't have enough heat??

What did work perfectly and effortlessly was to chuck it in the lathe, put a drop of cutting oil on it and use my Dremel tool with a tiny diamond cutoff wheel. Cut is perfect and almost instantaneous.

About chucking in the lathe: I just applied a strip of duck tape to each jaw of my 3 jaw chuck and tightened it barely at all.

Thanks for the update and idea.

Daryl
MN

Back