Oil Seal and Heat Build Up

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I replaced an oil seal. Made sure the size is correct. There is a lot of heat build up. I can not touch the spindle for more than a split second as it is so hot. Anyone ever experience this issue and if so what did you do?

Did you lubricate the oil seal before installing the shaft? How fast are you running the shaft at?

What is the seal on? It should be getting some lubricant from somewhere. It don't take much lubricant, a little dab should go a long ways.

Yes I put just a dab of grease.
The shaft runs at 5500 RPM.
It is on a surface grinder.
Yes it gets lube. Spindle oil.
I took the of down about .003".
Same issue.
I may try a few thou more.

IMG_20170830_163148105.jpg

Oil not there yet? Do the bearings have too much preload? Since you did not mention playing with the bearings, oil lube seems to be the issue or the shaft is not polished smooth where the seal lip is running? Any extra drag will make heat. Pierre

I did polish where the seal runs.
I did play with the preload. I did however run it with no seal and there was no heat at all.
E15 & an E14 bearing if anyone is curious.
I took another .003" off. It is now about .008" less in diameter than the specs call for. Same amount if heat.

Edit: Will some run-out cause heat? In the process of skimming off the seal area I've caused some runout. Did a quick check and looks to be approximately .0015". Although this would not explain before.

Last edited:
Don't use grease on the oil seal. Light machine oil only.
I highly doubt that seal will handle 5500 rpm. On high speed spindles, you generally design a dust proof retainer to work in place of a seal. A good example is the nose on a bridge port mill pr clone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Interesting because I replaced what I took off, a 471231.
Maybe originally this did not have a seal then.
I'll have to look into the retainer.
Will that also keep the oil from leaking out?

It may and it may not. Most SG bearings are packed with grease made for this application. Get with your bearing supplier and they may be able to get a seal for high speed spindles. Also, they should have the Koblu(sp) grease for precision bearings, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

There was no grease on these and I doubt they're precision.
I ordered some felt and also some shaft seals which rotate on the shaft and push up slightly against the housing. I believe it is like a dust seal.

There was no grease on these and I doubt they're precision.
I ordered some felt and also some shaft seals which rotate on the shaft and push up slightly against the housing. I believe it is like a dust seal.
That sounds like your best bet. Let us know how you make out.

Back