oil, lube, coolant...

Desolus

Registered
Registered
so I've been using this stuff http://www.natdoor.com/lubricants/400-hd-national-door-lube-15oz-aerosol-red.html for cutting lubricant and coolant since I got my machines, and I was wanting some advise on a few better options. It works, it's free, but it's not great... and I need something that will do a better job of heat control and not smoke so much.

I'm thinking about buying one of those spray nozzles to go on my mill that mixes compressed air and coolant, I see some pretty nice looking ones from us-shop-tools.

anchor lube is the cat's meow if you want to manually apply a cutting agent.
low smoke and can be mixed with water to desired consistency or used straight out of the squeeze bottle.

lard oil or bacon grease has some very nice properties too when mixed with sulfur or sulfur bearing oils.

Rigid dark cutting oil is sulfurized, and works well on steels

the mist systems are quite nice

some folks use a jet of plain air as coolant while cutting

You will like Anchor Lube. It is my go-to cutting fluid when drilling large holes in steel, and just about any size hole in stainless. The rest of the time I use a mist coolant from Rustlick, applying it through a no-fog spray mister that I built myself. If taking heavy cuts in aluminum I resort to WD40 out of a spray bottle.

I'm not sure the difference between the two terms wreck.

I'm not sure the difference between the two terms wreck.
In the machine shop business "coolant" generally refers to a water soluble oil/water mixture with low lubricity yet excellent cooling properties, liquified gasses are also used for cooling.

Cutting fluids especially oils have fantastic lubrication properties yet poor cooling properties, Depending on the application and severity of the operations such as one shot threading with a die head in a screw or rotary transfer machine flood cutting fluids are often employed, this is very messy indeed.

Water soluble flood coolant is slightly less messy but does not work nearly as well with such high metal removal operations as die threading and tapping.

This is water/oil coolant, very thin and you need a lot of it.
Cutting oil/fluid

Back