Oil Heaters

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Have an issue, one of my machines sits in an unheated building. Recommended oil is straight 30 weight. I am looking for ideas on a 120 volt oil heater so I can pre-heat the oil before use.

Thanks,
jason

Magnetic automotive oil pan heater??? If there is a good spot to attach it that may be simplest.

The type of heater would depend on how the machine and oil reservoir is configured. A bit more information would be helpful. There are all kinds of automotive oil heaters available, as well as industrial oil heaters.

I 2nd the magnetic heater. Before I had full time heat in my barn I would put a 220 volt electric heater directed right at the gear box also.
Cheers
Martin W

What size of machine and how much oil is in it?

My emergency generator motor is kept warm enough with an incandescent light bulb hanging on it and everything covered by a tarp.

Last edited:
There are also aquarium heaters that may work depending on the size of the tank.

It's a VN 16s. Holds about 4 gals in the ram. There is an oil pump. I have a magnetic heater, I tried it last night, and after an hour, it barely made any change.

The issue is the cast iron is at least a 1/4" thick, and the heat transfer is slow. I did find a heating element that will fit a 1/4" pipe fitting, and I think this is the route I am going to go with. There is a removable cover plate I can replace with a modified plate that will accept the heating element. More to come.

Jason

I am so glad I don't have that problem, because if it ever gets to cold for the oil in my machine, It will be WAY to cold for the operator. :laughing:

Back