Oil for ball hones and technique for honing?

I think they offer them in different grits , if there used in increasing finer grits the will enlarge the boring up to the final polish . Not as much as a stone hone but with better finishes. I use to polish and lengthen forcing cones in shotgun barrels , used eds red and it worked really well.

Oh yes, real hones can remove material. One shop where we did honing we regularly left 0.010 for finish, and ended up holding 0.001 tolerance with a 2 µ Ra finish in parts about < .050 wall, Incolloy around 3" ID x 18" long, plus many smaller ones. Best results we got were on hones we built in house. Those were hydraulic cylinders used in MOPS downhole.

For boring bar bushings no need to hone they should be split any ways.

The hones were received this afternoon from McMaster:
hones.jpg

I put them to work and they worked quite well and faster than I expected. I made a batch of honing oil as discussed above and used the hones in a drill:
finish.jpg

The finished bushings work fine and as expected. Had fun experimenting with the hones.:
collars complete.jpg

it works.jpg

I'm with you, Alan. The simplest way would have been to bore, then ream, then split the bushing but a hone will give a good finish and that's what you're after. Fine finishes in the bore will reduce chatter so good for you!

Back