1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

Offshore Precision Levels

Discussion in 'METROLOGY - MEASURE, SETUP & FIT' started by petertha, Dec 27, 2016.

1. petertha

petertha Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Outside US / Canada
    I'm about to chase down some taper cutting effect on my lathe & been doing reading on various validation & measuring methods. I suspect my stand has settled & I need to tweak one of the feet. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had good/bad comments on these levels. I see them on Ebay & such, suspect they come from one locale & distributed under different names.

The big name levels are outside the budget for the few times I anticipate using, even used & who knows about calibration or how they were treated 7 stored etc.

https://www.accusizetools.com/master-precision-levels/

Attached Files:

2. petertha

petertha Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Outside US / Canada
    Should have also mentioned they sell a master frame type as well, link below. Assuming the 2 styles have the same accuracy, I guess this style is more intended for validating vertical square measurements as opposed to just a basic horizontal leveling function like first link?
    https://www.accusizetools.com/master-frame-spirit-levels/

3. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California
    You want to know the precision of any machinist level you are looking at. No numbers, no purchase. Be sure to properly understand the difference between accuracy, resolution, and repeatability, especially with electronic levels. Take care with what length level you get. Longer does not mean more accurate. Sometimes a long level won't fit where you need it. A too short level may not bridge gaps. The import ones are accurate, certainly good enough for leveling a lathe. Mine is 8" and is .0005" in 10", and it is fussy enough to use that I would not get one that is .0002" in 10", like the ad in your illustration. .001" in 10" is probably more than adequate enough for leveling our machines.

TomS likes this.