Of Machine Oilers And Oil

We have probably about beat this to death, and people's existing opinions will mostly remain intact. For my mill and lathe, I use the oils specified in the manual. Not necessarily the brand specified, but the same spec oil. For my car, I use the grade and viscosity of oil and other lubricants specified in the manual. For protecting parts and tools from rust I use ATF, the cheaper the better. I try to consciously ignore all advertising, hype, and internet opinions and simply buy the specified lubricants at the best possible pricing. Works for me so far...

Some oil is better then no oil, but correct oil is best

Dad always told me that motor oil had some form of paraffin in the oil. The paraffin or wax would build up on bearing surfaces, starving lubrication from the bearing, which causes wear or bearing failure. Not sure I believe all of that, but could be true. Regardless, I don't use motor oil for lubrication on my machines. I have two lubricants I use, way oil and ISO 46 hydraulic oil. They have served me for quite well for a number of years now.

Dad always told me that motor oil had some form of paraffin in the oil. The paraffin or wax would build up on bearing surfaces, starving lubrication from the bearing, which causes wear or bearing failure. Not sure I believe all of that, but could be true. Regardless, I don't use motor oil for lubrication on my machines. I have two lubricants I use, way oil and ISO 46 hydraulic oil. They have served me for quite well for a number of years now.
Old motor oils may have contained long-chain hydrocarbons that would not have been problematic at engine temperatures but which might have precipitated out at low temperatures in machine tools. I doubt that such contaminants are present in modern oils, though.

Dad always told me that motor oil had some form of paraffin in the oil. .

Paraffins, are a a colloquial term for a class of saturated hydrocarbons known in organic chemistry as alkanes and are a major component of all crude oil. They range in molecular weight from methane through the major components of gasoline up to the waxes and tars so motor oil would undoubtedly contain "paraffin".

Kerosene is called paraffin in the UK.

Back