[How do I?] Odd-shaped stair treads

ProfH

Registered
Registered
I've a couple of odd shaped stair treads that I would like to install hardwood on. Any advice about the process?
upload_2017-4-27_20-53-53.png

de6b1a36f9af1318a563bed158580028.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed your picture ;)

I would use some cardboard to make a pattern and cut it out with a jig saw.

I saw your post on CNC Zone, and a tabletop CNC router might work if it is big enough. But trying to model the arcs might be a bit tricky. What I might do in that case would be to take a good picture as a top view, with some known points marked so you can scale the drawing in your CAD program. Then you can fit the arcs to the picture. I have used this technique for reverse engineering shapes that are difficult to measure.

Wrap the risers with kerf-sawn solid or plywood. The treads are usually 1" thick oak.

Fixed your picture ;)

I would use some cardboard to make a pattern and cut it out with a jig saw.

I saw your post on CNC Zone, and a tabletop CNC router might work if it is big enough. But trying to model the arcs might be a bit tricky. What I might do in that case would be to take a good picture as a top view, with some known points marked so you can scale the drawing in your CAD program. Then you can fit the arcs to the picture. I have used this technique for reverse engineering shapes that are difficult to measure.

Thank you Jim for your response! I should have figured it's a smallish community after all .

How about the nose? Should I get one of those lj Smith bendable noses? Or are they no good?

Wrap the risers with kerf-sawn solid or plywood. The treads are usually 1" thick oak.

Thank you wawoodman. Can you elaborate on that kerf sawn solid? A quick googling told me it's a technique to use very thin blade to cut wood.. not sure how does that fit/help. Appreciate your help

How about the nose? Should I get one of those lj Smith bendable noses? Or are they no good?

You just went way over my head. :) Never heard of them. I'm really not a woodwork guy, but a lot of other members here are, and will be able to offer some actual good advice.;)

If you're wrapping around a curve steam or soak the veneer, if you don't want it to split! Once upon a time I bent sides for a guitar by soaking then wrapping/bending around a steel pipe heated by a blowtorch through the pipe, as the wood (mahogany when I did it) dries from the heat it takes a permanent set.

Dave H (the other one)

There are thin plywoods available in 'bending' grades; make a form for your
shape, then bend two or three plywood layers, gluing between them. That will make
the curved shape in a thickish plywood. Veneer a thin (about 1mm) oak face overall,
to matche the tread and other risers.

<http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/columbia-radius-bending-plywood/>

That's for the risers; just edge-join (use dowels or biscuits if you have 'em) to a
tread (standard depth) to make the wraparound step, trimming to the curve with
a router guided on the riser curve beneath.

Woodman's idea of kerf cutting will work great . Saw cut almost completely thru the riser vertically every inch or so and bend it around the curve. Or you can buy a product called bendy ply or wiggle board. bend it to your pattern and glue two pieces of this together and clamp in position. then cover in hardwood veneer. Or
Use 1/4" hardwood veneer and it may bend with ease.
Cheers
Martin

Woodman's idea of kerf cutting will work great . Saw cut almost completely thru the riser vertically every inch or so and bend it around the curve. Or you can buy a product called bendy ply or wiggle board. bend it to your pattern and glue two pieces of this together and clamp in position. then cover in hardwood veneer. Or
Use 1/4" hardwood veneer and it may bend with ease.
Cheers
Martin

Thanks Martin for the explanation! Does kerf cutting imply anything about the bladder thickness or was that bogus info I read?

Back