Odd ball tool for small parts!

pjf134

Active User
Registered
I have used this tool for hand threading of 6-32 chrome plated brass pins. Even by hand the pins would snap off with too much force applied. A machine would more than likely snap these fragile pins. I have done many hundreds of these, and boy are my hands sore after, might have to make something a little more bigger so my hands would not suffer so much. These pins are for medical equipment.
The pin shown is not the actual, but close. The collet takes differend sizes if you can look close at the pics.
Paul

DCP_0434.JPG DCP_0435.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,
The threaded part was chromed and trying to start die was tough, too much force would snap pin, like I said 6-32 thread on chrome and brass pins real soft. I had to back off die a few times to clean mat'l. or else it would snap off. The collet did not mark the chrome at all, that was the way it had to be done. The pin shown was not the one's I did, just something I had laying around to show. The real pin's had a smaller base, but like the one in pic. It seamed that the chrome was harder than the brass, maybe double or tripple chrome. The machine shop that did the pins did not want to do the threading after it got chromed, that's when I got it. I do some other small parts for medical equipment too, like 1/32" dia. conduit bent like a paper clip, with wire,insulator inside copper conduit. A jig came in handy on that one. I also do put together some cableing for MRI machines, twisted pair with 50 connections at the connector was a big PIA to do. 2 1/2 twists per connection was tough as there is not too much room near the end inside the connector. I hope to get some machining work from that company, since I am friends with the boss. That is one reason I got a lathe, but not the only reason.
Paul

ps: I hope your foot is better now.

Back