O/T - This morning's EBAY chuckle

Frank Ford

Active User
Registered
Just got a Starrett micrometer - a nice little 0-1/2" with rounded anvil for measuring tube wall thickness. The impressive part of this sale was the seller's description of the item.

"Good condition, with none of the prior owner's info on it."

There were two clear photos in the listing, showing only this side:

ebaymic01.jpg

When I opened the box, it looked pretty good until I turned it over:

ebaymic02.jpg

Sure enough, the grinder did a sweet job of removing "prior owner's info."

I always hate to see that. Guys I know would hit up a pawn shop and come away with a decent enough instrument.....and head right over to the grinder and get rid of the engraved name. One told me he was afraid it was stolen and didn't want to have to give it back should the owner turn up.

I believe I have one just like it. Well, minus the grinding. :)

I just got a return message from the seller who claimed not to notice the problem and offered refund including shipping both ways. I'll be keeping it anyway - it was a good price and it works fine. I never sell any small tools, so that kind of thing isn't a problem for me.

Frank,

I'm curious who the seller was.

I have been looking to acquire measuring tools that I will need, and looked on Ebay for edgefinders, wigglers, and the like...

I had three recent experiences just like it, and ended up tossing the tools in the garbage and losing my money, I didn't want to waste time with Paypal and going to the post office for $20 each- it just isn't worth the time to repackage, spend for shipping, drive to the post office, and hope PayPal returns the money.

I purchased two Mititutoyo DTI's- the finger ones- from two sellers whose names escape me. On one the bezel fell right off- it was loose. That is supposed to be a press fit that won't come off. On the other, part of the dovetailed ways were "ground" off. The photo did not show that side with the grinding. Both sellers said "I didn't notice that". (BS). I didn't even give them negative feedback- I realize the "old Nelson" was a hardass in the past, and I have been trying to atone.

Last week, I bought an edgefinder from "artie". I opened the red Starrett case, took it out, and it literally fell apart in my hands- the spring came apart from the end pieces with almost no pressure exerted. I then noticed that the spring ends were shot, and wouldn't hold. (I need to get a correct spring somewhere- maybe Starrett). There was no way not to notice that- the thing was literally held together with a wing and a prayer.

I bought a set of Starrett edgefinders (one single end, one double end) from another seller, and had no problem whatsoever.

I could care less about having initials on them- the grinding is worse than the initials could ever be.

Best,

Nelson

Some things are just not worth taking a chance on buying used and abused from places like Ebay.

Precision measuring instruments, best to buy NEW from a reputable store and at least have some form of warranty. Still a pain to send back and deal with but better than these deals.

Got a couple of Armature undercutters over the last few years off ebay, cords were all frayed on one and needed rewiring the other had a mandrel that had been brazed together and only cut with one tooth on the circular saw blades, the rest well the cam action did not allow them to touch the part. One Southbend undercutter was so rusted up it did not even move.

Fortunately time and patience, rewired the one, turned the brazed crap off theother and replaced with new part from Clausing, lubed and derusted the other.

Ebay, "I must remember not to pay good money for somebody elses garbage!"

Walter

I wouldn't buy anything precision from an ebay seller that wasn't also a retailer, with a B&M store. I would be a little uncomfortable even then. I've probably got every instrument I need now, however.

Having worked in QC/QA for a time, I got addicted to measuring tools.

Nelson, is this the edge finder you were trying to reassemble a few days ago? Do you need parts for it, like the spring anchors? I have some of those if you want them. PM me your mailing address and I can stick them in an envelope to you. N/C

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought several nice used tools on ebay. But, ebay, and any other purchase of a used item from anyone, anywhere is buyer beware. You MUST not be afraid to ask questions. Ask for pictures, or any details. Check out the sellers feedback, past sales. Just as mentioned here, the sellers almost with out exception will make good on any problems. There is nothing better than buying new and retail from the best quality supply houses in town. But, I would not negate the chance to get a very good gently used tool USA tool from ebay, excluding consumables such as taps/dies/end mills,ect.
Don't get me wrong, there are sellers who go to shop closings, auctions, ect, buy a table full of tooling, and try to sell it piecemeal on ebay. Even so you may dig out an acceptable item if wanted, or needed. There are many a retired or estate sale of no longer needed tools that were well taken care of...you just have to do some home work.

Back