Number of gears included with a TH42 lathe

jemin

Registered
Registered
Hello.
I am planning on buying an Atlas TH42. Can any of you guys tell me how many gears should be included with the lathe? The picture of the lathe I am trying to buy of CL has 6 extra included gears.

Thank you,
-jemin.

A quick search on the web. Like 10 seconds tuned up a complete parts list. It shows 10 extra gears.

You might want to down load it so you can see exactly what you are looking at.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Not having a complete set of change gears isn’t the problem it used to be. 3d printing means you can just run off whichever one you are missing (If you have access to a 3d printer that is).

You don’t even have to design them as you can download the files off thingiverse. Lots of guys had the same idea and posted up their .stl file for the gears. Download, slice and print. Its that easy.

I’ve got a couple ABS printed gears in my 10F’s geartrain right now. works fine.

I actually have a complete set of the atlas change gears for my TH42. Came with it when I bought the lathe. I’m running a couple 3d printed gears because the abs gear takes out around 75-80% of the gear noise when the lathe is running.

Last edited:
Atlas gears are a very standard item and come up for sale frequently on Ebay so it's not too important if a few are missing. It's a bigger deal for some import lathes that have oddball gears.
I'd be much more concerned with the condition of the lathe itself, especially the bedways.
-Mark

Last edited:
Yep, in the 6 years I ran my Atlas, I went from 10 change gears to 20... and I only remember paying for two. They're cheap as chips, and apparently multiply like tribbles.

Translation: You don't need to worry about finding Atlas parts. Be glad you didn't buy something truly rare! The change-gear version of my current lathe uses four gears at $900/each, *if* you can find 'em. Glad I didn't need those!

Hi , I have a TH42 that came with 20 gears so after reading here it appears someone bought an extra set back in the day. Many appear to be the same size.

Back