Now I understand why no one changes belts 2

Table saws use 2 or 3 belts when the book says you only need 1, for likely the same reasons. The new SawStop uses a serpentine belt. Now for your jib borer they might use a toothed timing belt instead of 4 belts. In the mill they rarely gave us any grief.

I've heard jig-borers are amazingly accurate . Machines from a time when machinists were more than programmers.

My bad, they call it a jig grinder- sensitive drill. Neither of which seem to fit to me. Its a beast. Right now, I'm running just the two outer heads. After a while, I will get 2 more VFD's, and mount the other two. I'm finding it nice to be able to not have to change the tools. I'm definitly addicted to shifting a lever over changing a belt. The pic is from the seller, not my shop. A current pic would be hard to tell the drill from the other collectables.

Except for my lathes, all my tools are older then me. And a lot better condition.

fosdickjig.PNG

specs.JPG

photo 2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
That is not a jig borer or a jig grinder in my opinion. It appears to be a production drilling machine. Jig borers and jig grinders have fancy pants tables where you can move the work side to side and front to back with very high precision using gage blocks, special micrometers, and the like using built in fixtures for them. Holes can be located on the work to tolerances of .0001" or better on jig borers and grinders. I do not see that kind of functionality in your photos. Still, very cool machine!

I agree Bob. Not sure where I got the jig borer thought from. I do recall researcing the name before Iigot it, trying to understand the difference, so Maybe the E-bay add had it written that way. I know I was concerned how well I could use it as a drill press. Finding info on Fosdicks, is almost as bad as searching for info on Hercules ajax lathes. The last pic is from the E-bay add. I paid more for gas, and the hotel room, then I did for the machine. After I got home, and looked at it, I think I did great. Heck, the cast Iron belt cover weighs more then my old drill press.

photo 4 (2).jpg

$_12SSSS.JPG

Back