Now Here's A "diamond In The Rough" Project!

Not much progress to report . . . still plunking along as time permits. Cal, thanks . . . but still haven't freed the pulley off of the shaft. The set screw has a flat end, and depth measurements don't seem to indicate there's anything else in the threaded hole. Looks like there is a rough depression in the shaft that the set screw bottomed into. The shaft turns freely in the bracket . . . but the pulley and shaft won't separate. May have to resort to Glenn's suggestion and get out the rosebud tip for the acetylene torch.

Moved on to cleaning up the VN ram head . . .

P1020337.JPG

Also bringing home my latest acquisition of quite old SB Model A. May have an operating "machine shop" one of these days.

P1020335.JPG

Wow, I had to check the date myself . . . it's been over a year since last update! After developing sawdust related asthma, my doctor ordered me to put a dust collection system into my barn/workshop, which working by yourself takes time. I digress . . .

P1020637.JPG

I do have the table and headstock painted and installed, and the Bridgeport M head installed on top.

P1020905.JPG

I'm pulling the table into place with a bar clamp, but need to figure out how to adjust the jib, which doesn't seem possible considering the jib screws are half covered by the table. I think that's why I took a break and went on to other things . . .

Also, until I design and build a rotary phase converter to power the 3P BP head, there's not a pressing need to finish the assembly details. Not enough hours in the day!

Also, still hoping to find a way to get the upper drive multistep pulley off of the shaft . . . .

P1020306.JPG

There's a RPC on craigslist for $200.00 3 HP I think it's in Lancaster pa. If I remember . Should run what you have. I just bought all the stuff to make mine . I guess I have $500.00 with buying used parts on eBay . Two hrs drive is worth $300. Or so. Wish I could latch on to a VN mill 12 or 16 . But I want them all shaper , kT , 16" lathe monarch of course. Big belt grinder all the goodies. Glad to see your getting the mill working . Just thought I'd let YA know about the RPC ,there's another one on too for $500 but it newer and stronger even a 15 hp on craigslist I saw somewhere the other day. Good luck wear a mask and have fun.

There's a RPC on craigslist for $200.00 3 HP I think it's in Lancaster pa. If I remember . Should run what you have. I just bought all the stuff to make mine . I guess I have $500.00 with buying used parts on eBay . Two hrs drive is worth $300. Or so. Wish I could latch on to a VN mill 12 or 16 . But I want them all shaper , kT , 16" lathe monarch of course. Big belt grinder all the goodies. Glad to see your getting the mill working . Just thought I'd let YA know about the RPC ,there's another one on too for $500 but it newer and stronger even a 15 hp on craigslist I saw somewhere the other day. Good luck wear a mask and have fun.
Good to hear from you again "NJ neighbor"- wish you lived closer and I'd check in on your RPC project. Yes, I've been going back and forth wondering if I should just look for a used RPC. I've had a almost new 5 HP - 3P Marathon motor a friend gave me years ago I've been intending to use to build a RPC but not sure if I'll ever get to it! Could you tell me where you found good "cookbook" instructions toward building one?

P1010880.JPG

Check out my post at ,,, P is for planer,, Ulna sent me the build configuration it's in my post. I bought everything but the 5 hp motor on eBay . Make sure you get 220 or higher volt capacitors , you need 1 start cap and maybe up to three run caps. 220 volt magnetic contactor two push buttons , writing terminal block. Yellow wire eye ends 10 gauge wire three colors and bare copper. Red white black green . And fuse block and fuses triple block mini cartridge work .plus the plugs or boxes to your machines. His wiring diagram is easy to follow. The planer is why I'm going to all this expense. I plan on a vfd on my mill.oh I forgot my motor came from craigslist the guy sells on eBay and he delivered it to me from Philly . Great deal brand new baldor still in the wrapping for $120.00. I was looking for days then it popped up on craigslist so I sent emails the rest is history.

Last edited:
Wish I'd have waited , this set up has everything . Oh well . Really tho I bought other things for machines I'm going to run. Enclosure boxes and fuse boxes on off manual contactor to start and run the planer . Even for my surface grinder I need fuse box. That's where the money goes that and two motors.

Last edited:
Back