Now Here's A "diamond In The Rough" Project!

A number of years ago I picked up (what I believe is a) Van Norman 1/2 base with a Bridgeport head modified into it via a "clamped collet arrangement". I disassembled it to move it to my workshop barn, and it's been sitting there ever since. Hoping to clean, paint, and reassemble it this winter. Viable project or a "fools errand"??!View attachment 106864 View attachment 106865 View attachment 106866 View attachment 106867
Thanks Bill. That's the encouragement I need. Sure love to put this thing back together. Looks like the Bridgeport head is an "M" . . . .
View attachment 106947
j have a van norman model 12 that i mounted a bridgeport model m head . i used the overarm bar to attach the head.this head has made the machine more fun to use. i can remove the m head in about ten minutes if i want to use the horizontal mill function. i have lost the ability to tilt the head in the y axis but the van norman head will do that. the m head lacks a back gear and spindle brake but that hasnt caused me any problems. the spindle is no 2 morse taper and collets are readily available . the motor is 1/2 hp 3ph so you will need a vfd or phase converter.good luch with your project.

j have a van norman model 12 that i mounted a bridgeport model m head . i used the overarm bar to attach the head.this head has made the machine more fun to use. i can remove the m head in about ten minutes if i want to use the horizontal mill function. i have lost the ability to tilt the head in the y axis but the van norman head will do that. the m head lacks a back gear and spindle brake but that hasnt caused me any problems. the spindle is no 2 morse taper and collets are readily available . the motor is 1/2 hp 3ph so you will need a vfd or phase converter.good luch with your project.
Thanks, glad to hear that. And yes, I know it's 3 Ph. Another project is to put together a converter using this 5HP 3Ph motor, just waiting . . . P1010880.JPG

Last edited:
Paul,

WNY Supply has nice panels for under $200 and kits for as low as $62. I don't think you can buy the parts yourself and save enough to make it worth the trouble:
http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/25258
http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/25260

Cal
Thanks Cal . . . great information! I will definitely look into that. There's just not enough hours in the day to do everything myself, although I seem to keep trying . . .

No, I never got that from the prior owner.

I take my earlier statement back . . . I believe the VN cutting head is on the left side . . . the Bridgeport slides in the horizontal bore. How the original cutting head would be powered is another mystery, although the pile of old components might have something to do with it . . . ??

VN60.JPG

VN62.JPG

Thanks Bill. That's the encouragement I need. Sure love to put this thing back together. Looks like the Bridgeport head is an "M" . . . .
View attachment 106947
I also have a M head Bridgeport project awaiting some restoration work. The previous owner installed sealed bearings into the quill, so no more oiling. It is a #2 MT and he included all the tooling he had. He went with a bigger J head. My unit has a sump oiling pump in the body of the base, is this a common thing with these older units ? The base is questionable, saddle and knee, as they were packed with grease. I want to check the surfaces for flatness and parallelism. My problem is lack of proper tooling. I have 2 surface plates, and a 5ft. humpback straight edge that was just scraped in. I need to find a 2ft. unit that is more manageable to use. Will post some pictures soon.
Stan

I take my earlier statement back . . . I believe the VN cutting head is on the left side . . . the Bridgeport slides in the horizontal bore. How the original cutting head would be powered is another mystery, although the pile of old components might have something to do with it . . . ??

View attachment 107514

View attachment 107515

Here's some photos of a number 1/2 (say "one slash two"; not "one half") that I used to own. It also had an M-head. Your drive was probably similar.
DSC00010.jpg DSC00016.JPGDSC00042.JPG DSC00050.JPG DSC00017.jpg

Cal

Cal, thanks for posting those photos. Wow, that was quite a rig! I think all of those belts going at the same time would worry me. I suppose if I ever needed to do any sort of horizontal work, I could cobble together a way to drive the old VN head. Those older machines really amaze me. I'll save your photos as there isn't much available on the 1/2 VN . . . . and thanks for the clarification: I felt kind of strange calling it a "Van Norman one half".

Speaking of horizontal milling . . . here's something interesting . . my neighbor gave me this old machine a number of year ago. . . no immediate plans to restore it, or what I'd use it for if I did, but kind of "cute"

IMGP0567.JPG

Back