Novice questions...

O

Otis

Forum Guest
Register Today
Someone said there's no dumb questions, so here goes!

I was reading through the forum and came across mention of a "Lathe Spider", having never seen one I did some more reading and figured out what it was and did. (;D cool!)

Which brings up the point; "I don't know what I don't know, ya' know..." and this goes along with my other problem that, even though I use them, I don't know what the specific names for different things are, example; We have four lathes where I work (five if you include the RR wheel lathe) and they use two basic different tool posts, the one uses a bolt on top and a cupped washer to hold the tool, and the other is a square setup with a handle on top and the tool holder clamps on the side... (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about..)

The guy who is training me is a real wizard with a lathe and milling machine, but we're real busy this time of year with plenty to keep us both busy and not much time to talk, so I'm looking for some home study material.

I ordered a bunch of catalogs, I'm sure I could learn a lot of this sort of thing by just reading through them.

Is there some kind of on-line glossary or something I could read up on this stuff?

I guess what I need is some kind of Basic guide to machinist tools and accessories, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Otis

Thanks for the links, that'll keep me reading for a while.. :)

In the mean time, a little eye-candy.
Here's a pic I took at work yesterday;
10zqrzc.jpg
closest is a 25" Lodge and Shipply lathe
next is a Reed Prentice lathe,
a 36" Cincinnati shaper
and a JJ McCabe 2 in 1 lathe
the big one in way the back is the wheel lathe, (Niles, I think)
behind that (not visible) is a Niles 400 ton hyd press
and a Cincinnati milling machine
Along with various drill presses, saws etc..
I'm standing at a South Bend bench lathe (behind me) making boiler staybolts.

Welcome Otis. Glad you found us. My ex-father-in-law ran a wheel lathe when he worked for the Cotton Belt.

Patrick

Back