Not Wearing Eye Protection

Way back about a Brazilian years ago, I worked in a control panel fab shop. We'd sawed some large rectangular openings in a ~3/16" steel panel with a Sawzall. I was tasked with smoothing the edges. We had a handheld "straight" grinder (precursor to today's angle grinders) with a ~6" abrasive disk. One hand on the housing just below the disk, the other on the grip below the motor. IIRC, I was wearing some kind of goggles over my glasses, to keep the sparks and grit from ruining my lenses. The hole I was grinding on was at about eye level.

Then I unexpectedly caught the edge of the disk somehow, and the grinder kicked back at me. I held on as best I could, but the wheel just barely grazed my cheek, right below my eye. Barely took off any skin, but it scared the heck out of me!

My solution - found an unused welding helmet, took out the dark glass, left in the clear one, and got back to grinding. The shop didn't have any other kind of full face shield.

Yep, I bought a full face shield, then discovered I couldn't wear it with ear protectors. The head bands conflict with each other. So it hangs on a nail, unused. I do reply on eye googles all the time.
Just use ear plugs instead. I actually use the silicone type that you knead together and cure inside your ear for a custom-fit. $14 at Gander.

Back