Not Exactly A Discount Code

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
I got this email from Enco/MSC a couple of days ago:

As a valued Enco customer you qualify for an exclusive offer from MSC Industrial Supply, the parent company of Enco. We invite you to experience mscdirect.com and also receive special savings on everything MSC has to offer.

Here's what you’ll get*:
  • Enhanced website experience
  • The same price you paid at Enco
  • Up to 30% off everything MSC sells
  • Freight Saver shipping
Getting started is easy:
Simply use your new MSC user name ****************@**********
to experience the MSC difference today.

Questions? Need Help? Call 800.672.4631

The whole email is a bit odd. MSC is notoriously overpriced, usually with their"30%" discount you might be at list price, there is almost always a minimum price of $200+ to get the discount, you most likely will need to pay state tax, and if you have to pay shipping, etc... not really worth it. They are geared toward the higher end parts/machinery, and you pay a big premium. Couldn't find that telephone number at MSC, but pretty sure it is a MSC number for special accounts. Enco sell less and less name brand, and more of their house brand. A real shame, that's why they want you to use their parent company MSC. There are a few items listed at both sites, I was looking at a SuperDex the other day to see pricing, the same model at MSC was twice the price. Go figure.

There are other vendors that their posted price (like Zoror, Amazon industrial, etc) is less and you do not need to play coupon of the day, etc. Even Enco these days, check out their catalogue prices to their web prices, I have noticed at least a 5% increase if not more in prices over the last year, if not more. Their exclusive offers, I must get at least 1 or 2 a day from both MSC and Enco. Flat out, if you do not use the coupons, you will overpay, and check your final bill to make sure the pricing didn't change. On more than one occasion with Enco, the preliminary bill sent did not match the final, and the final was always more. The other day, they added on shipping costs (used a free shipping coupon) after the matter of the fact, to the tune of ~$130. They ship from multiple locations, so you can get stuck pretty bad on shipping when ordering multiple items coming different locations. I always print/save the final checkout bill, so you have a record of what they said you should pay. Needless to say I had to get them to do 5 separate credits for the shipping, PTA.

Back