Non Machine Related Question

speedre9

Active User
Registered
Maybe not the best place for this but. You guys know a lot of stuff here and are willing to help others. Well here's my questions, will Auto CAD 2000, run on new computer with Win 10 or whatever is the latest iteration? And what about SolidWorks 2007. My current machine is fifteen years old and way out of date can't afford new CAD softwares so what are my options id I buy a new computer. Impossible to upgrade my worn out Vaio, help.Comment very welcome

I would not count on AutoCad working on a new machine. When I upgraded to Win 7, way back when, I lost AuctoCad 97

I suggest that you keep the old computer to run ACAD 2000 and SolidWorks. I upgraded to Win7 and ACAD 2000 would not install directly. I did a manual install with only partial success. It works and will do drawings, but lost some features. I kept dual boot capability so I could still run XP and have full functionality. I did attempt to run ACAD2000 on Win10, and it just instantly crashed, but I didn't have time to troubleshoot the problem. I'll work on that sometime.

Here is a compatibility matrix for SolidWorks. http://www.javelin-tech.com/main/support/pdf/solidworks_windows_compatibility_matrix.pdf

Just as a side note: I just installed Win10 and some of my industrial control software onto a PC, I'm not impressed. It worked, but the Win10's UI sucks for industrial operation. In this case end user really won't notice the difference, but it's a PITA from a developer perspective.

I have been getting a nag screen from Microsoft wanting me to upgrade from Win7 to Win10. I'm going to do it now that I have some time to get it done and get everything running again. I expect it will be painful.:eek:

Here's an off the wall thought -- take a look at Fusion 360 as a replacement for ACAD. You might be able to upgrade both the computer and software within your budget.
I'm transitioning from TurboCad 17 and haven't found any shortfalls.
regards,
Leon

you should be able to "run as" select a op system..i run lots of older programs on my hp

My AutoCad Lt which is about the same vintage as AutoCad 2000 runs on my Win 7 64bit system in XP mode. I believe that SolidWorks 2007 will also run on a Win 7 system in XP mode.

Some software will run in compatibility mode. But some will not. Most stuff that runs in 7 will run in 10. The older stuff is hit or miss.

I have been getting a nag screen from Microsoft wanting me to upgrade from Win7 to Win10. I'm going to do it now that I have some time to get it done and get everything running again. I expect it will be painful.:eek:

It was painful, about 9 hours. I really can't blame Microsoft for all the time spent, it only took about an hour to actually upgrade to Win 10. I wanted to keep my WinXP and Win7 intact for my legacy software, so on startup I can boot into one of the 3 operating systems. So AutoCAD 2000 does run on Win 10 with the same loss of features I experienced with Win 7

Windows 10 has hyper-V built in. you could install XP in hyper-V virtual window. it runs well. or you could install Oracle's "Virtual Box" . We used this at work to run 2 old programs. If you hibernate the virtual machine instead of shutting it down, it will start up in a few seconds where you left off. You do need the install disks or an ISO file to install the operating system of your choice.

Back