Nogaflex Indicator Holders

Eventually I will get a noga, right now I am collecting indicators. Tim

I got one when they first came on the scene. I use it mostly for automotive (setting up valve train,etc.) work. So much easier to use than the conventional style. I'd be lost without it. Mike
CIMG0008-1.jpg

After playing with my new Nogas for a few days I have come up with a minor problem / annoyance.

Tom from OxTools adapted a Noga Arm to the Attachment Clamp of an Indicol ( Youtube video) so that the Noga can be installed on the Mill spindle without removing the cutter. I think that Darkzero has also posted on this topic.

Anyhow when I ordered my Noga NF 1022 I researched that the stem would unscrew to reveal a thread that I could use to attach the Noga Arm to my Indicol clamp. Noga even make double ended nipples for that purpose.

Problem is that I can't unscrew the top stem to reveal what I believe to be a female thread in the attachment point. It sure is stuck fast. I suspect that it is assembled with Loctite. The Ball and the stem both have flats for spanners but I can't get them to budge.

Any Ideas???????

Oh well if I can't get them apart I will have to take Darkzero's approach and order another Noga without a stem if I can find the right part #

Ron

IMG_2614-2.jpg IMG_2615-2.jpg IMG_2621-2.jpg

I did the same conversion to the indicol as Tom Lipton did. Both mine and his were Noga's with the mag base. Mine unscrewed very easily. Perhaps they do use loctite on the collet stem version. You might try a little heat on the stem with a propane torch. Good luck, you will really like the indicol/noga setup.

Darrell

I would not use a flame you will burn the finish. H heat gun would be ok just don't get it to hot. Better yet just make an adapter for the clamp to except the stem with a set scew to hold it.

Or you could do like I do with my cheap knockoff and just stick the mag base to the quil. It works just as well. For a poor mans setup.

Last edited:
I would not use a flame you will burn the finish. H heat gun would be ok just don't get it to hot. Better yet just make an adapter for the clamp to except the stem with a set scew to hold it.

A heat gun is a good idea. A propane torch used correctly will do no harm to the finish. Simply hold it further away and bring it up to temp. Or wait for the wife to go shopping and set the deep fryer on 400. :big grin: Lots of ways to soften loctite with out doing damage.

Darrell

I did the same conversion to the indicol as Tom Lipton did. Both mine and his were Noga's with the mag base. Mine unscrewed very easily. Perhaps they do use loctite on the collet stem version. You might try a little heat on the stem with a propane torch. Good luck, you will really like the indicol/noga setup.

Darrell

I did the same thing, except I hate how flimsy Indicols are, so I made my own that uses a Noga arm.

Last edited:
Ron, when I made my Indicol to Noga I used the arm off a NF61003 so the arm had a male thread, I believe it was M5. Post #106 . I made an adapter to mount my Noga arm to the spindle mounting bracket instead of simply drilling & tapping it like Tom Lipton did.

As said I did not use a NF1018 or NF1022. However on my NF1018 I was able to remove the 8mm stem on mine. Mine did not have threadlock on the threads but it did have some sort of epoxy on the thread relief to hold it in place. I slightly torched mine & it loosed right up. IIRC the thread was M6 but the male thread was on the stem so you'll have to use a bolt to attach it or make a threaded male adapter. I'll see if I can find the original stem & snap a pic for you. I still need to snap pics of all mine & get them posted here. Been busy with work so I may not get to it till next week I expect.

Img_9075.jpg

Img_9095.jpg

If you can't get the stem off, you can however use your NF1022 & still do the conversion the way Shadon HKW did. Stan recently posted a video on how he did it. Starting at 32:30

Received my first Noga today. Medium sized with the adjustable base. Looks really good. Can't wait to try it out.

Back