VN No spindle lock on a VN 12?

CrankyOldMan

Registered
Registered
I've been using bridgeports for over a decade now, so I'm familiar with how to change R8 collets. My VN 12 has an arbor installed and I can't for the life of me understand how to break the drawbar loose without putting a pipe wrench on the arbor. Did I miss something here? I couldn't find any videos or posts explaining the process.

What does everyone else use to hold the collet (or draw bar) to change them over?

Try putting the gearbox in the lowest gear. If that doesn't work, there are two radial holes in the spindle for a pin type spanner:

5475a15p1l.png

A straight piece of rod might work as well.

If you have an impact wrench that should easily get it loose. I'm not familiar with your mill so not sure how it's supposed to done. My mill/drill originally did jot have a spindle lock either. It came with a double nut design drawbar.

When I made a replacement I made it the same way. Top nut is fixed so it allows you to hold that while breaking the lower nut loose. I have a spindle lock now but I also choose to stay with this style as it will adjust for different size arbors that can vary with different manufacturers.

img_6392-jpg.158415

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't recall seeing any round holes in the spindle on either end, and it's definitely not a double nut setup. I don't have the motor connected, so even in low gear there's almost no resistance.

It's the same style head as in this manual: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2109/3403.pdf, so the knurled section on the back/top is integrated with the nut. I'm thinking that the only way is to get a toothed spanner and grab it by the engagement dog slots. Not sure where I could get one of those locally...

Just checked again and it's definitely a pin spanner wrench. Looks like 2-1/4 diameter with a 1/4" pin. I really need it tomorrow but even Amazon can't get me one that fast. None of the usual suspects carry it in my area (HF, HD, etc.) so I may just have to improvise with a 1/4" dowel pin and something else in the meantime.

Thanks again for the help!

How far is Kentwood from you? The cheapest MSC has is their house brand Paramount for $20.01, p/n 91090993

1/4" pin, 1-1/4" to 3" capacity (check their catalog to see the pin sizes)
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/91090993?item=91090993

If the price is acceptable & they're not too far, give them a call to see if they have it in stock.

4171 40th Street SE
Kentwood, MI 49512
Local: (616) 245-6812

EDIT: Oops, forgot it was Friday! They're not open tomorrow & Monday is Labor Day. :confused:

Kentwood isn't far, but it's in the opposite direction of work so it's hard to get there during work hours. You must have some super secret pricing code for those--they show up as almost $33 on my end. I ended up moving it without removing the arbor, so it can wait until I can get one shipped to my house.

Well, I bought two different spanners and neither one worked. I should know better than to measure a hole with a carpenter's tape measure and expect to have even hundreths accuracy. I thought the spindle was 2 1/4 diameter, but it's much closer to 2. That means both of my 2-1/4 spanners have a 17/64 pin diameter, and will need quite a lot of time with some abrasives to get them down to size. Less hassle to just order another wrench, in my book.

*NB* A thread in the "similar threads" box below just asked the very thing I should have asked last week. Turns out it's a 2-1/8 shaft, so I'll probably need an adjustable spanner, or will have to grind out the radius of a 2" wrench.

Lesson learned--ask twice, buy once!

Back