No-rust Paper

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
At least, that's what I think the paper is, that comes wrapped around stuff. Tan, kind of oily...

Should I keep things wrapped? Can I lay it in the bottom of the drawers? Should I just toss it?

Great question, after re-wrapping my parallels in the wax/oil paper they shipped in half a dozen times I said the heck with it and tossed the paper in the trash. Now I just wipe them down with Starrett M1 after each use and call it good.

For stuff I use a lot like parallels, I just put them away "wet" with cutting oil. I do not use coolant so there is never any water on them. 1-2-3 blocks, and the like just sit on a plywood shelf in a puddle of cutting oil. Gauge blocks get wiped off and sprayed with WD-40 and stored in their box with a piece of oil paper on top of them (I use them constantly).
Anything that is not used frequently gets wiped with WD-40 and put in a closed box with desiccant.

I have been considering getting some Starrett M1 to put on stuff that gets stored. So far WD-40 has been fine, but I worry about long term with it. WD-40 is not especially good for freeing up stuck bolts, but it is a really first class displacer of water (WD stands for water displacement formula 40).

I was disapointed with Starrett M1 Oil. it left dark stains on some of my Jo Blocks.....

I have had no issues with Starrett M1 thus far, but to be clear I spray it on a microfiber towel, then wipe down my tools I don't hose down the tools. M1 goes on very thin indeed but stays wet for a long time. WD40, way oil both seem to dry out much quicker and incredibly I have had some rust issues on vises and machines I thought I had coated well with that stuff. So far no issues with the M1.

I have been trying barricade gun oil on some of my stuff and it seems fine so far, but not sure of the long term performance.

David

Keep that paper stuff. Mother Nature is working around the clock trying to rust or toys. It’s a constant battle trying to keep rust away from bare steel in my shop. And I will never win the fight!...Dave.

To me, CRC 3-33 or LPS-3 works the best for long term storage. BUT the two leave behind a waxy film that has to be removed when you do pull things from storage. For things I use frequently, I use Starrett M-1 oil in both spray and dab oil. So far no issues. As I've said before, I've banned WD-40 from my shop, except for one can I keep on hand for that Aluminum job that comes up from time to time. I also have some VCI paper on hand for mainly packaging. I also throw in my cabinets some of the desiccant bags that come in all sorts of packaging I get in. I have some large one that came in with a large machine tool that was bought many years ago. They still work all these years!
As for gage blocks, wipe down with a piece of clean chamois (sp), which stays in the gage block box, and lay a piece of VCI paper over the top of the gage blocks when stored. So far, no rust!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
WD-40 won't protect against rust except for the fact it will pull the water away from the surface to be wiped from the surface. It dries out.

Last edited:
Back