Newby Q's about my selections

Also have to add that consequently my tooling list has changed. No power feed, but will likely add DRO on the x&y. Was thinking of wiggler/edge finders, but think I'm going to go with a laser center/edge finder. I'll probably go with R8 collets despite my hesistancy and preference for holders in some eccentric way. I will get a 4" Kurt type vice. I think I'll stick with 4 flute end mills up front. A 2" boring head. I think I'll hold off on the 2" face mill I was looking at since the inserts are painful $$$, and just stick with end mills and a fly cutter for surfacing. I confess to being enamored by pulleys and consequently am pining for a big arbor press and keyway broach set, and then I would like to cut gears too. Maybe a small set of broaches/pilot bushings 1/4-1/2"ish and a medium one 1/2-1"ish. Something to cut gears with (shell end mill?) I'll want an AXA sized QC tool post though the Aloris will have to wait until I have stars in my eyes. Definately a slitting saw set-up. A good micrometer and quill mount for tramming. Maybe a surface plate for tramming. Maybe a .22LR reamer for fun. Probably a Baldor type grinder or maybe just a slow wet stone and strop or maybe both (depending on if I'm more foccused on keeping tooling sharp or grinding tooling). Maybe a spindle lock. And assorted set-up blocks, parrallels. And that's pretty much just for the mill, let alone the lathe. It's fun living on an island with a couple thousand people and no used market! Did I mention I love the barge?
aml702_155.jpg

aml702_155.jpg

Living on an island does present its own set of challenges. I red your first few posts here and didn't pay much attention to your location. Now i understand why your so intent on getting what you need upfront...it aint like you can just hop in your car and drive to the local tool supplier.:dunno:

Back