Newby gets his first lathe - Craftsman Atlas 12x36

Steevo

Active User
Registered
I just bought a Craftsman/Atlas 12x36 - model 101-28940 as my first lathe. As near as I can tell from what I have found online, it is a mid-1970's model.
It is in good condition with little wear, and came with lots of tooling, including cutters, reams, drill bits (big ones), a milling attachment, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and lots of other tooling. It is mounted on an old metal desk with a chip tray under it. It isn't actually that green, the picture is just bad. I forgot to take my camera with me when I bought it.
I'll get better pics up after I pick it up.

1256564022_HwbH6Bx-O.jpg

Re: Newby gets his first lathe

Thanks.

I would like to know if anyone has a good source for an owners manual/parts manual for this model.
I can't find it in the files at the yahoo group for Atlas_Craftsman.

I found the parts list and exploded diagrams for this lathe online at Sears Parts Direct. com. They may have an operators manual there as well.

The manual is not posted on the Atlas/Craftman users group due to the fact that it is still protected by copyrights that are held by Clausing. You can buy a new one for about $20-25 direct from Clausings as well as parts etc. They are cheaper than Sears for parts as they buy them from Clausings. Ebay can be a good source as people are parting out these lathes all the time.

Under Files, Operation and Parts Manual there are a few scans of stuff related to the 12" lathe.

I tried to get one exactly like yours just a month ago but the seller was a .... if you know what I mean. ;)

Welcome and good looking lathe with quite a bit of attachments.
Wondering----- Mounted on that desk, is that not too low, or did the PO sit while using it??

I didn't have a camera to show it, but the desk has a steel frame under it to raise it to a standard lathe working height.
I will probably fabricate or find a narrower bench to put it on, so it doesn't have so much wasted space behind it.

pdentrem link=topic=1769.msg10991#msg10991 date=1303170536 said:
The manual is not posted on the Atlas/Craftman users group due to the fact that it is still protected by copyrights that are held by Clausing. You can buy a new one for about $20-25 direct from Clausings as well as parts etc. They are cheaper than Sears for parts as they buy them from Clausings. Ebay can be a good source as people are parting out these lathes all the time.

Under Files, Operation and Parts Manual there are a few scans of stuff related to the 12" lathe.

I tried to get one exactly like yours just a month ago but the seller was a .... if you know what I mean. ;)
I guess I'll pay up and get the manual then.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back