Newbie to CAD

boostin53

Registered
Registered
Hey guys. I've been contemplating on doing a cnc conversion on my little X2 mill just for fun. So in the case, I have downloaded a fee different CAD programs. I also have Mach3 ready to rock and roll for when the conversion is complete. That way I can learn and use it by the time the machine is converted.

I have been using Freecad the most part. All of this is overwhelming to a newbie. Are there any other programs that are more straight forward to use for beginners? Not really wanting to design complicated parts right now. Just wanting to get a feel for it.

I use Draftsight as a replacement for costly AutCad, it's pretty good, but I occasionally find minor problems. If I were making money from my hobby, I'd spring for a better program.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you go ahead and download and set up an account for Fusion 360 (if you are using Windows 7 -10 64 bit). You have not mentioned what your thinking about using for the CAM side of the equation - the software that takes the CAD information and allows you to assign tool paths and generate the G code for Mach 3. Fusion 360 is somewhat similar to Freecad in that it is a 3d modeling program. You can download a 30 free trial and once installed and running, request a hobbyist license, which lasts 1 year and is free. At the end of the year, you should be able to renew the license at no cost. For simple flat parts in Fusion, you would just draw a sketch of the part with dimensions and extrude the sketch to the thickness of the part. At that point you can take it to he CAM module to assign drilling and milling operations. Once all the tooling and machining is defined you can generate the G code using one of several post processors - I'm pretty sure Mach 3 is supported by Fusion 360. Here is a link to the Fusion 360 page. http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview There are a couple other threads here on the forum about Fusion 360 you may want to look at as well.

There are a lot of great resources on line for Fusion 360. YouTube has several and AutoDesk has a good source as well. I had never used 3D CAD before, but after a couple days of watching videos and reading I was able to make a couple of drawings for projects I have done in the past in my home hobby shop. I've never used the CAM portion and may never since I only have manual machines, but as others have said NY CNC YouTuber has a lot of great videos I suggest you watch. By the way, I gave up on FreeCad once I found Fusion 360.

Here's my first 3D CAD project using Fusion 360. I also posted this pic on another thread. It's a B&S #21 collet my K&T collet head uses on my mill.

Good luck and have fun!
Ted

collet.jpg

Last edited:
Those that recommend Draftsight for Newbies have been drafting too long. Draftsight is very difficult to understand if you are brand new to CAD and I haven't found any good tutorials on you tube to learn it. Draftsight tutorials go so fast that I literally can't keep up without constantly pausing. There is a high school instructor on you tube that goes at a good pace but he uses an older version apparently that is too different for me to find useful. I am trying Fusion tutorials today, wish me luck.

Draftsight is almost identical to AutoCad Lt (or AutoCad 2D). You can probably find a lot of YouTube or other tutorials on AutoCad that will really help you with DraftSight (since DraftSight is an AutoCad clone in most ways, command wise). I love Fusion 360 but it's apples and oranges different than DraftSight or AutoCad 2D. There are a lot of tutorials and on line resources for it though... IMO, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to create 2D drawings and sketches then DraftSight is the way to go. If you want to do solid 3D modeling, then go with Fusion.

Good luck and have fun!
Ted

Last edited:
Back