Newbie Questions on Parallels

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I need a set of parallels for my milling machine.

I did not realize this until I started looking on Ebay, but they are quite expensive, especially American.

So my newbie questions are:

What size set should I buy to start with (starter set) that will let me do the most things until I can afford other sizes?

What types should I get first?

What should I avoid?

Thanks guys!

Nelson

10 pair for $30- the price is right to start out with!

Thanks Tony!

Best,

Nelson

Nelson

I have a set of thin parallels and a set of the 1/4" thick ones. I also have an assortment of shop made parallels like recip saw shafts from dead tools. I am constantly using ones from all the sets, depending on what I am setting up.

The thin ones are often preferable as you can get closer to the vise jaws when you need to drill through without hitting a parallel.

Wavy parallels are on my "toget" list.

I also got a parallel spreader but can not use it as my 6" vise has jaws that are 6-1/4" wide and the seperator will only handle about 6-1/8" wide max.

Shop made stepped jaws for the vise can be very handy as well. Rick Sparber shows them in one of his write ups on his site.

Walter

starlight_tools link=topic=1459.msg8072#msg8072 date=1301414158 said:
Shop made stepped jaws for the vise can be very handy as well. Rick Sparber shows them in one of his write ups on his site.

Walter

Walter,

thanks for reminding me! Rick lets everyone copy his articles (he calls this "copyleft"- you can use them as long as you don't change them). I plan to gather them up and post them in the "articles" section. I need to get down to it!

Thanks!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
sticks of HSS can quiet often be used as well. If they are from the same manufacturer and same box/pkt they will often be the same size. I have a couple of matched prs of different sizes that I've kept as parallels.
bollie7

dalee link=topic=1459.msg8101#msg8101 date=1301428519 said:
starlight_tools link=topic=1459.msg8072#msg8072 date=1301414158 said:
Nelson

I have a set of thin parallels and a set of the 1/4" thick ones. I also have an assortment of shop made parallels like recip saw shafts from dead tools. I am constantly using ones from all the sets, depending on what I am setting up.

The thin ones are often preferable as you can get closer to the vise jaws when you need to drill through without hitting a parallel.

Wavy parallels are on my "toget" list.

I also got a parallel spreader but can not use it as my 6" vise has jaws that are 6-1/4" wide and the seperator will only handle about 6-1/8" wide max.

Walter

Hi,

Not to try and hijack this thread. But you mention parallel spreaders, a great idea that often doesn't work real well as you've found. When I want such an item, I use rubber bands to hold parallels to the vice jaws. Or my favorite, metal pallet banding which works amazingly well. Just cut a appropriate length and bend in a vee shape. The stuff is amazingly springy and resilient. While being easily formed and cheaply gotten from the garbage can.

The import parallel sets I've used have all been pretty good tools for the price. I think all of mine have come from ENCO over the years. And plenty good for "ordinary" machining. I have 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" sets. I mostly use the 1/2" set. The 1/8" ones just fall over on me a lot. Makes me mad when that happens. ;D So I use my rubber bands and metal pallet banding to hold them in place.

dalee

I got a set of 1/8" and 1/4" Enco imports picked out at $58 and $99 respectively that I'm sure will be fine for my newbie purposes. The difference is in the tolerances the parallels are made to. The USA ones are 2-3x the price, which is insane to me.

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a set at Harbor Freight for about the same price as the ones on Amazon. They have performed well for me.

Back