Newbie Here

737captain

Registered
Registered
I just wanted to introduce myself.

Back to the beginning, 1970, I finished High School at the suggestion of the Headmaster who declared “You’re not learning anything from us, and we’re certainly not learning anything from you.” My Dad, was a toolmaker at Rolls Royce although at the time he was there as a tooling buyer. Following the last day of school he returned from work and asked my intentions to which I replied that I’d been thinking about it and that I was going to take six week summer break and regroup. He said he’d thought about it too and I start work on Monday at a local engineering firm, one of his suppliers.
I worked there for about two years, no training but ran mills and lathes that had been set up by the tradesmen. I also spent time in their QA so knew how to read a drawing. 1972 I was made redundant and that was the last time I saw a machine shop.
Fast forward to the present day, I’m a retired airline pilot, flight instructor and simulator instructor for the Cessna Longitude business jet.
A couple of years ago I bought a South Bend 9C lathe with the intent of being able to make parts for my vintage motorcycles. I’ve thrown quite a bit of cash in an attempt to produce acceptable parts, I bought tipped tools, measuring equipment but continue to struggle with consistent sizes and get awful surface finish.
Im in awe of some of the project I see here, I just read a thread of a very talented gentleman who made a 5 cylinder radial engine for an RC plane. Incredible talent, I know that ultimately I can do that sort of thing, I need tuition but and adequate tooling.
I was thinking of buying a new lathe and come to the age old question, new import bench top PM perhaps, or older more substantia. Any input would be appreciated. Also I’m looking around for a local trade school where I could enrol as a mature student.
Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Captain, please take your seat as you are about to take off on the best hobby.
Please post some pics of your lathe and some of your work.

Welcome to the forums. PM is held in high regard on this site. Used equipment in your may be abundant. Check Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and other sites to see what's available. Great deals can be found on used equipment, especially when they include tooling, but it tends to be market-dependent. You also need to know how to assess them to ensure you're not buying a pig in lipstick, so to speak, and are you willing/capable to make necessary repairs?

Edit: Check with the junior colleges in your area. One where I live has an amazing machining program with state-of-the-art CNC and manual equipment. They offer a lot of bang for the buck. Hopefully, you have one reasonably close by.

Don't be so sure about not having something to be proud of. We are our own worst critics.

Good to have you join us! Vintage motorcycles are other things we would love to see pictures of. This hobby cuts a wide groove through a lot of other hobbies, and we are all about the application of the hobby.

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Don't be so sure about not having something to be proud of. We are our own worst critics.

Good to have you join us! Vintage motorcycles are other things we would love to see pictures of. This hobby cuts a wide groove through a lot of other hobbies, and we are all about the application of the hobby.

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
I’m kind of out of the bike business now, I had a bunch of which this was my pride and joy. A Velocette Thruxton, one of only about 90 that made it to the USA of I think less than 100 made, I know Jay Leno has one. IMG_1831.jpeg

Back