Newbie here - is this a good deal?

dlinva

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello everyone, joined a bit ago but this is my first post. Looking to acquire a lathe and saw this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-HEAVY-...491159?hash=item3addfda697:g:iPoAAOSwB-1Y2UXQ

There is also a link to a Youtube video. In the video the gentleman states that he believes the cross slide needs a new nut but he didn't have time.

Is what he is asking for this lathe reasonable?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I was on a search for a long time myself. I looked and looked for a SB 9 or one of the craftsman atlas lathes. Everything I found was either way over priced, worn badly or poor condition. I waited.

I ended up bigger than I wanted. Almost every week since I have run across one of the smaller ones in good shape.

I myself was cautious of the liquid overhauls. Paint makes it look good, but doesn't make it work any better.
I ended up with a Sheldon that is the equal to the heavy 10 so they tell me. I gave $2500 with a fair amount of extras. I am the third owner of this. The prior owners took very good care of it.
This area of the country there is just not a lot of these good small lathes around.

It's like fishing, have patience.
Good luck to you.
Jeff

With all the extras it sounds fair , if you can pick it up you'll save a grand on shipping. I bet.

First- SB lathes are awesome. While this one looks pretty from a distance I am a little wary of the new paint job it appears to have. There are several instances where bolts and threads are painted over. Also, the top surface of the taper attachment (around the slot) is fully painted- it should be paint free as the levered nut tightens down on that surface. It shows that whoever painted it didn't know what they were doing or how the lathe works (or they needed to paint it to hide something?). I picked up one that was not pretty and took the time to restore it. I loved that process and you learn so much. My suggestion: pass on that one -it is priced too high for the unknowns.

Rick

Thanks everyone for your input. With several of you worried about the painting, I think I will pass. Although I at first didn't think that I was up for doing a refurb, after watching several hours of videos I am not so intimidated. Will look for something a bit cheaper that I can restore.

I wouldn't want to buy any piece of machinery without see it in person or getting a third party report. I was lucky enough to find two lathes in my area, a Enco and a Sheldon. Now to figure out which one to keep. If you can find one near you a lot of shipping cost can be saved.

Jim

Back