Newbie End Mill ?

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anxiously shopping for my first mill and reading and thinking about tooling.

Now for the stupid question -
Aside from a catalog description how does one determine if an end mill is appropriate for "center" or plunge cutting?

Second bonus stupid question-
Is there a specific purpose for "double end mill"? Is it the same tool on both end or does each serve a specific purposes.

Thanks in advance for overlooking my complete ignorance :frog:

One is center cutting and may be plunged into the work, this is obvious visually if the cutting faces reach the center line of the tool, double end means just that, the same tool on each end.

A non-center cutting end mill will not plunge as it will not cut to center.

To add to what Wreck said, the catalog will usually state that it is center cutting if it is. If it is not center cutting, you can still plunge with it if you drill a hole first.

A double-end mill has the same cutter configuration on both ends. When the first one dulls, you flip it over in the tool holder and keep cutting.

Everyone starts at the same place, knowing nothing. Your questions aren't stupid; they're just questions that need answers so if you want to know something, ask, and someone will answer you.

Hi guys, I have just purchased 1" end mill, but I didn't noticed that it is fluted like it is a left-hand, yet sharpened like it is a right-hand end mill. I've never seen this before. Is there a special purpose for this?o_O

If needed, the picture can be expended by clicking on it twice.

Quite right, that is a left hand helix, right hand cut.
It will push down on the material, it also pushes the chips down away from the cut.
We used those for harder materials.

Use caution when considering double ended endmills - especially larger diameter ones. They might not fit in your collet set because they are too long. Not that I have any first hand experience :confused:. BTW - anyone know the best way to cut a double ended endmill in half?:p

Back