Newbee Question Re Holding Mill Tooling And Vise Advice.

stevemetsch

Registered
Registered
Question 1
I just got my PM940 and need to get some R8 collets.
I have a lot of inherited mill bits in diameters of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and a few 3/4".
They are the type with a flat on them for fixing with a set screw.
Should I get mill bit holders, which are pricey???
Should I just get a set of regular R8 collets???
Question 2
What size vice would go best with this machine??? The table is 9.5" wide with a 1.5" cover for the DRO on the back. I don't want to use a crane to move the vice.

The reguler r8 collets will hold the endmills you have. The other type work well for long runs where you you might need to change bits easier. As far as you vise , figure one thing sometimes bigger is better . Reason smaller vises will flex to some extent in use. I think one of the better made 4" or 5" , cnc style ( ground ) . Can be had for under $200 . It's rare you will need to use the swivel base , if you do used bridgeport vises are cheap.

Vice....I'm happy with a 4 inch, but then I'm doing small work. If you think you're going to be holding work up to 6" wide, then get a 6" vise. In any case you can always clamp something large to the table directly. Many vises come with a pivot base, in my opinion the base is useless. The angles marked are usually only approximate and you have to indicate the vise anyway.

As to tool holders The type you mention that use the set screw, are often called "Weldon" holders, perhaps Weldon originated the style. I've begun picking up some in standard sizes, 3/16, 3/8, etc which can be dedicated to one tool. Put the holder in instead of a collet and a tool. Collets are fine, but in a set of 11 there are probably 5 you'll never use.

Edit: Change too to tool

Last edited:
Question 1
I just got my PM940 and need to get some R8 collets.
I have a lot of inherited mill bits in diameters of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and a few 3/4".
They are the type with a flat on them for fixing with a set screw.
Should I get mill bit holders, which are pricey???
Should I just get a set of regular R8 collets???
Question 2
What size vice would go best with this machine??? The table is 9.5" wide with a 1.5" cover for the DRO on the back. I don't want to use a crane to move the vice.
The 4 or 5 in vise sounds right for your size mill. I would however recommend end mill holders over the use of R8collets. If you spin an end mill in the collet, the end mill will suffer no harm but the collet will be junk. The down side of end mill holders other than cost is they add some stick out beneath the spindle. Jack

R8 Collets are "collets" they hold the tool directly, stick with them if a hobbyist. Using tool holders in an R8 spindle machine is silly unless one uses them for their intended purpose which is easy and rapid tool changes. If you run jobs that require multiple tool changes per part then by all means buy tool holders, one for each tool used. They may also be used to extend the tool well beyond the spindle nose reaching places where the spindle itself would be in the way, this however is not their intended purpose.

Do you understand what the grooved flange on a Cat 30, 40 or 50 (and several other designs) tool holder is for? It is what Automatic Tool Changers use to grip the holders and remove or install them in the spindle or store them until needed again.

R8 collets are cheap in comparison, spinning a tool in a collet does not render them useless by the way.

cat40holder_zpsxo0bowrf.jpg

I would not recommend ANY end mill holders, they use a set screw to push on the end mill to hold it in place, potentially causing the tool to run out. Use r8 collets or a high quality collet chuck that yses er32 collets for quicker tool changes And for the vise, if you can afford it get a kurt d688 or the likes, I got a like new used one for 277 dollars off Craigslist

Agree with Dave.
The Tormach TTS system is brilliant in small mills even manual ones.
Use one 3/4 R8 collect which is not removed, loosen the draw bar 1or2 turns and remove /replace tool. If you are completely anal you can also set all your cutters to the same depth because the TTS holders index to the spindle exactly each time. Great for CNC mills with a tool changer. Cheap accurate TTS ER tool holders are available from chinese suppliers.
Ron

I have both end mill holders and collets. I prefer end mill holders. Install a cutter and snug the set screw against the flat which is known as a Weldon style shank. Then loosen the set screw very slightly and pull down til the flat is seated .Tighten set screw. This method prevents the cutter from pulling down in the holder. Unless you think a larger vice would be used often I would go with a 4" milling vice.
mike

I use the TTS tool holders ,some end mill holders, some ER20 collets, in my Enco RF30, makes tool changes effortless.
I am very happy with my Shars 440V vise, 4" jaws, but opens 6". Easily meets it's specs , in the range of .0004" or so. Weighs 34 lbs, so it's not a major project to move.

Back