Newb Question: Machinery Handbook

I got the 2016 edition from Enco on sale for $48 and it is fun to thumb through, but I use the internet or ask a question on her more often than not. My $.02

My old (Stark #3) lathe is a slightly oversize jeweler's lathe, and the ONLY info (other
than pictures) I could find on it, was in a 1943 (11th Edition) Machinery's Handbook.
If only for historical reference, it's a useful tome.

There's a nifty intro to the slide rule, sine tables and logarithms....

I like others have stated don't use it much at all. I have e-version #27 but hardly use it at all. Lots of internet searches, videos and this forum.

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, and hack around on a small manual mill and lathe at home. I use MHB sometimes at work, but practically never at home. My copy at work is a couple of rev's back. My copy at home is my dad's old copy from the 50's. Google has cut down my useage of MHB a lot in the last few years. I used to use it much more often design work to allow room for fastener heads and tools, translate the thicknesses of sheet metal, and the like. Now I more often just Google what I want to know, and look for consensus info among the hits.

-Ed

I have had 2 old versions from the 40's and one from the 90's and they were fine. The last 2 editions that were printed have had a lot of people complain about the paper they used in the books. The paper is very thin in those last 2 editions and the print on the back of the page you are reading shows through and can make it more difficult to read.

I have over a dozen copies of the Machinery Handbook ranging in age from the 2nd edition to the 28th edition. Most of my work revolves around repairing and refurbishing obsolete machinery and manual machine tools. I find I use them regularly for obsolete threads and fasteners. I the early 20th century there were few standards on threads and fasteners. The majority of the tool and machine manufacturers used proprietary threads in an attempt to corner the replacement parts market. I'm not sure how well it worked, but it did result in dozens if not hundreds of now obsolete fasteners.

As for machine operating techniques each volume does contain some relevant to the time it was printed, but by in large it's not a "how to" book. Rather it's a reference book. The older editions don't have much on metric sizes or threads. If I remember the first edition to even address metric measurements to any detail is around the 22nd. After that there's been metric references in everyone I am aware of.

If you're using older American made iron I would think any metric cutting or threading capabilities would be a later add on. I have a 1970's Bridgeport mill that came from the factory with both SAE and metric table movement dials. I also have a 1960's Sheldon lathe that is capable of metric dimensional cutting and threading. This machine however requires the installation of a secondary gear set specific to the metric dimensions.

Most of my machines now have DRO's capable of metric or SAE dimensional readings. Cutting or turning in metric dimensions isn't a problem. Threading on the other hand is still a PITA since it requires a gear change.

Back