New X2 Mill Z Column Not Square To The X And Y

natoround

Registered
Registered
So far this is the only "problem" I have found on this machine. It was shipped to me by HF and the crate pretty much self destructed in transit. The foam liner seemed to be the difference in arriving without major damage. The Z column misalignment is due to the 3 mounting holes being noticeably off. The way covers hide it but its still there. I'm not sure it will matter but it bothers me looking at the misalignment so I plan to remove the column and file the outer holes so it can pivot a bit to a better fit. Am I correct to assume the spindle doesn't see the error from the column misalignment? Or is it a bigger issue than my limited machining knowledge understands?

From your description I assume the spindle is parallel the column, in which case truing the column is necessary. If this is not the case, someone else may offer a suggestion.

I have not checked the spindle to the Z column. I should do that I suppose. Right now the base of the Z column is about .125 out of square at the base in relation to the X and Y table. Obviously not a top of the line product so I guess I have to expect some misfit here and there. QC at Seig should not allow that obvious of a error.

After reading this post I checked my x2 and got a fright, 6mm out!,:eek:. Then I noticed the square was not flat on the table but touching the way cover. :oops:Removed cover but still have about 1mm lean out at top of column. Spindle is parallel to column as measured with branch from tree [Ironbark tree]. Will fix it one day, maybe, or maybe not.
John

I removed the two outer bolts that hold the column to the base and loosened the center bolt. That allowed me to rotate the column into square and see how far off the holes were. The outer hole were off front to back causing the misalignment. All 3 were off side to side which caused the column to be off to one side. I remover the column and unleased a 1/4 carbide burr in the required directions. First test fit and the column is now square to the X Y base. Still off to one side. I'll do the same procedure again to find the last bit of interference. It was a easy fix butI still think Seig QC should have caught it.

Back